How to clean underside of automatic pool cover?

dbd2

Apr 14, 2020
Fort Wayne, IN
New pool owner. When the cover is rolled back, I can see some dark spots on it. I'm assuming there are other dark spots throughout underside of cover. Is it possible to clean the underside of an automatic pool cover? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

(wrist better and cast repositioned so I can type better, thanks)

I don't clean the bottom of our cover. Skippy does clean the top fairly regularly which in itself would help keep the underside "cleaner" I imagine? I've just never seen a need, truthfully.

Also, whether accurate or not, I always figure the chlorine vapors trapped under the cover might help??

Maddie

Since you can see the underside on the spool when it is open, I assume is is an above-ground installation? I would just powerwash it in the box and incrementally open it to expose more. Don't get your nozzle too close or you could damage your cover.

No, spool is underground, at same level as pool deck. As the cover is rolled back, it's rolled under. When it's fully open, I can just see the underside of the very end of the cover. Would it be possible to remove the cover from its housing so that it can can unrolled on lawn and powerwashed?

The pool came with the house, so we have no idea who installed it. Other than being dirty, the cover is still in decent shape so we are hoping not to have to replace it so soon after buying the house. I'll clean the top of the cover before we open the pool, but would having a dirty/maybe moldy underside affect the quality of the pool water when the cover is closed? Thanks again for all your help.

Yes. The cover will contact the water. Your chemicals will affect the cover, and any contaminants on the cover are in the pool. That being said, perhaps a good shock and close the cover might do the trick to clean it up some. I wouldn't make a habit of it for the sake of the cover, but should be ok every once in a while.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.