How to chlorine without over stabilizing?

Alrg0

Mar 25, 2020
Louisiana
Second year with the intex 15’ agp. Last year was great from May - July. Used chlorine tablets, cleaned it well, upgraded to a sand filter. One week after heavy rains, it went greenish. Ok, not a problem, fixed it right up. Shocked it. Then it happened again without warning. I thought it was a friends kid who has very curly hair and lots of product. It got cloudy every time she came. It just stayed cloudy and gross. Chlorine was pointless as was any clearing agent.
I had to use floc it got so bad. After battling it for weeks and lots of reading, I realized my stabilizer got out of wack. I did a half drain and switched to liquid chlorine and kept a constant eye on it until time to close.
What can I do to avoid the cloudy mess and constant monitoring?
*the tablets I started with were cheap from Walmart. When I bought the Clorox brand is when things got weird. That’s what lead me to read on the stabilizer.
We use it daily unless it’s raining, which happens a lot down south. I do cover it if I know the rain will last a week.

Welcome to TFP.

If the Clorox tabs or shock say “blue” then it contains copper and can stain pools, turn blonde hair green, and have other unwanted effects. Read Copper in Pool Water - Further Reading

What test kit do you have? To follow TFPC methods you need the TF-100 Test Kits or Taylor K-2096C. Read Pool Test Kits - Further Reading

Then get the proper FC/CYA ratio following FC/CYA Levels and chlorinate with liquid chlorine.

07CC863A-4B3B-4F42-A4DB-14ADDF810020.jpeg
71CA7A64-BCDC-447E-BE24-9747BD345F5D.jpeg

Thanks, yes they did say blue.
mad far as the test kit, I do plan on getting the one everyone suggests on here. I was just issuing a simple chlorine test kit. Growing up we had a pool for years using that without issue.
But my question is still, what is a better method of chlorinating? Are there better tablets to get from amazon? I’ve looked at the slow release but wasn’t sure.
It’s getting warm here and as we’re stuck at home, I’m making plans to open the pool.

But my question is still, what is a better method of chlorinating?

Best method for chlorinating a pool is liquid chlorine or a SWG.

Are there better tablets to get from amazon? I’ve looked at the slow release but wasn’t sure.

Chlorine is a gas. All tablets need an substance to bind the chlorine to and create a tablet. Trichlor tablets have CYA and acid in addiiton to chlorine. Cal-hypo tablets have chlorine and calcium. You can use them as long as your CYA or calcium does not get excessive in your pool.

Liquid chlorine only adds chlorine and salt to your water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.