Jul 1, 2017
GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

I have a hot tub that is adjacent/connected to my pool. Similar to the image I've included.

The pool and the hot tub run off the same filter. However, there is no return jet in the hot tub. For the pool, I pour the chlorine slowly in front of the return yet. I have been pouring bleach into the hot tub and mixing it with my pole and brush. Is this the best method to continue doing? Or is there something else I should do?

Also, there are some options to drain the hot tub or fill the hot tub with pool water on the control panel. No sure what to do.

Thanks,

Attachments

• AQUASpa9-1024x678.jpg
    AQUASpa9-1024x678.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 25
Pics of your equipment setup would help us understand what you have.

Do you have automation with a pool and a spa mode?

How do you heat the hot tub independent of the pool?

D-man,

Logically, your description of how your system works, just does not pass the smell test... :scratch:

Something is not right with your idea of how the hot tub works...

As other have said... show us pics of your equipment pad...

Thanks,

Jim R.

D-man,

I think I understand the problem now... You have a pool and spa combo and can't tell how to keep the spa chlorinated using the automation system.

If you will show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad, not the automation system, we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Most pools with spas have what is called a "make up valve". This valve lets some water flow to the spa even when in the Pool mode. This forces the spa to spillover into the pool, and it keeps the spa chlorinated... Another way is that some automation systems have a spillover mode that does the same thing Often you have to set dip switches inside the automation to get it to work.

Tell as what kind of automation you have, Brand and Name... and post some pad pics...

Thanks,

Jim R.

D-man,

You should have what is called an "equipment pad".. On this cement pad (or area) should be a heater, a filter, your pump or pumps, and all the valves that make it possible to switch between the pool mode and the spa mode.. The automation system that you showed above would also be located near by..

We need pics showing all the valves and where the pipes go..

Thanks,

Jim R.

D-man,

You should have what is called an "equipment pad".. On this cement pad (or area) should be a heater, a filter, your pump or pumps, and all the valves that make it possible to switch between the pool mode and the spa mode.. The automation system that you showed above would also be located near by..

We need pics showing all the valves and where the pipes go..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Let me know if this helps. Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• F4F795A5-E7CC-4E22-AB0E-0D3638121848.jpeg
    F4F795A5-E7CC-4E22-AB0E-0D3638121848.jpeg
    765.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 411313DE-6474-4801-86EF-1891F7420183.jpeg
    411313DE-6474-4801-86EF-1891F7420183.jpeg
    486.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 10F48D3A-575E-4AA9-B99B-5968EA1157CD.jpeg
    10F48D3A-575E-4AA9-B99B-5968EA1157CD.jpeg
    591 KB · Views: 22
  • 26C57D84-747E-40B0-A3AF-9E5747B659C8.jpeg
    26C57D84-747E-40B0-A3AF-9E5747B659C8.jpeg
    500.7 KB · Views: 21

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
D-man,

Sorry, I missed the pics...

You have FOUR pumps??? Wow!!

So I can't really tell what is what.. "Normally" the pump with the filter is the one that has the chlorinator, but that does not appear to be the case with your system..

My "guess" is that the valve on the far right side of the pic with all the pumps is set to let some water to always go to you spa.. But that is just a guess..

Did you leave out any pipes or valves that send the filtered water back to the pool?

To switch between the Pool mode and the Spa mode, most automation systems use two valves called the Intake valve and the Return valve... Do you have another automated valve somewhere not shown in the pics?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, there are four pumps.

Filter pump
Connected to the chlorinator which is not being used since I use liquid chlorine. The chlorinator is for tabs.

Jet pump
For the hot tub jets

Floor system pump
For the in floor system, which I do not use either, as I have a robot

Waterfall pump
Not being used as it no longer works

I sent you all the pictures of the automator. I can change the mode from pool to spa. Sometimes I will drain the hot tub as it over flows, then fill with pool water. Previously, recommended to just keep a floater with a tab in the hot tub. However, it moves around and finds it way into the pool. So I have just been pouring chlorine into the hot tub and mixing with the a pool brush.

D-man,

Sorry, I missed the pics...

You have FOUR pumps??? Wow!!

So I can't really tell what is what.. "Normally" the pump with the filter is the one that has the chlorinator, but that does not appear to be the case with your system..

My "guess" is that the valve on the far right side of the pic with all the pumps is set to let some water to always go to you spa.. But that is just a guess..

Did you leave out any pipes or valves that send the filtered water back to the pool?

To switch between the Pool mode and the Spa mode, most automation systems use two valves called the Intake valve and the Return valve... Do you have another automated valve somewhere not shown in the pics?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hey, did you see my response? Thanks,

D-man,

You have two automated valves.. The one in front of the pump (Intake valve) is full turned.. The other automated valve is called the Return valve and it is set so that some water goes one way and some the other.. I assume that your spa spills over into the pool (a little) all the time... If this is true, then that will keep your spa chlorinated...

Does you spa spillover into your pool???

Looking at the Return valve (the one that is not fully moved).. tell me where you think the two pipes go... I would assume that one goes to your Spa and the other goes to the pool..

Also.. The spa in the pic in your initial post has a skimmer in the spa.. Does your spa have a skimmer?

Next time you post, if you want to make sure that I see it, just add @Jimrahbe

Thanks,

Jim R.

D-man,

You have two automated valves.. The one in front of the pump (Intake valve) is full turned.. The other automated valve is called the Return valve and it is set so that some water goes one way and some the other.. I assume that your spa spills over into the pool (a little) all the time... If this is true, then that will keep your spa chlorinated...

Does you spa spillover into your pool???

Looking at the Return valve (the one that is not fully moved).. tell me where you think the two pipes go... I would assume that one goes to your Spa and the other goes to the pool..

Also.. The spa in the pic in your initial post has a skimmer in the spa.. Does your spa have a skimmer?

Next time you post, if you want to make sure that I see it, just add @Jimrahbe

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi, that pic in the original post was not my spa. I just pulled one quickly to show design.

Yes, water will go from the spa into the pool. Sometimes, I drain the spa, then water is automatically filled with pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.