How to backwash this filter?

Garrettboys

Jan 31, 2020
Redding, ca
Hello friends, just moved into a new place and we now have a pool. I’m learning the ins and outs. Anyways, I’ve watched videos and read info on backwashing the filter to clean it out, but all the material I can find refers to a backwash setting and my filter does not seem to come with such a setting. I did notice an outlet at the bottom of the filter, but I’m just not sure where and how the back wash is supposed to work. Any help is appreciated. I’ve attached a photo for reference.

Attachments

• 705FA5B5-A78C-43A1-9887-C142C3727853.jpeg
    705FA5B5-A78C-43A1-9887-C142C3727853.jpeg
    564.4 KB · Views: 34
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I'm not seeing a multi-port valve (MPV) or plunger valve which would allow you to do a backwash. Typically those go with sand or DE filters, while cartridge filters are not normally equipped with valves for a backwash since we just pull the cartridges out and rinse them off. You highlighted the square area, but I'm not seeing anything down there. :confused: The red ball valve looks like it was an install item designed to help you pump water to waste from the pump, but I can't quite see all the plumbing from that angle. Can you update your signature with all of you r pool and equipment info? That could help. Also include your test kit while you're at it since we look for that as well. There should be a make/model number on that filter housing somewhere.

When you are done cleaning it and putting everything back together and turn the pump on, give the little black body that the pressure gauge is attached to a little (gentle) twist. It will bleed any air out of the filter chamber after you clean and reassemble it. Don't force it!

Enjoy your new home and new-to-you pool!

Reactions: Arizonarob
Thanks everyone! Thanks to the person who said it was a cartridge filter. I was able to open it and pressure washed the cartridges to a pretty white and now all seems well. Being that this was my first post, I’m encouraged by the responses here, so thank you!

Reactions: Arizonarob
Be careful if you used a pressure washer to clean your cartridge - too much pressure can make the fibers fall apart and will shorten the life of it (ask me how I know that ? ). A good blast from the jet spray from the garden hose is usually enough to clean it sufficiently.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.