How to add dry CYA via skimmer?

Aug 8, 2018
Salt Lake City
I have read several posts about adding dry CYA to the pool via skimmer. Some say adding it slowly and directly through skimmer is fine. Others say that you should not do it directly and put it in a sock. Please advise? If the sock is the best method please explain how to do this? What type of sock? How much CYA to add in the sock? Once the cya is in sock do I just plop the sock in the skimmer basket? I have 2 skimmers can I do one sock in each skimmer? I need to add 12 lbs of CYA. Thanks for help

Don’t put it straight in the skimmer. I’ve seen people who report it can plug the skimmer line if you add too much at once.

Put it in an old sock (no holes) or fine-mesh bag. Tie it off to a pole and dangle it in front of a return jet. Squeeze it every so often. Should dissolve in a few hours if the water is warmer, longer if cold.

Don’t put it straight in the skimmer. I’ve seen people who report it can plug the skimmer line if you add too much at once.

Put it in an old sock (no holes) or fine-mesh bag. Tie it off to a pole and dangle it in front of a return jet. Squeeze it every so often. Should dissolve in a few hours if the water is warmer, longer if cold.

How many lbs of CYA can i put in the sock at one time?

Depends on how big the sock is. Some use an old t-shirt and tie it up. I use a pair of thin knee socks my wife gave me to use. A couple pounds easily. If you need a lot more than that, then multiple are the best idea.

I use knee high panty hose and tie the top in a knot. Put the knot under a weight at edge of pool so toe end is in front of a return. I’ve put 3 pounds in but that was probably pushing it (using the cheapest knee high pantyhose Walmart carries!). If you keep squeezing it you’ll be done in no more than 20 minutes.

Oh, and I use an old laundry bag that has a broken zipper (I tie the twine so that the opening is shut off anyway).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.