How the heck do I connect a 2" backwash hose to a 2" pvc backwash hose???

Jun 11, 2015
Plano, Texas
Hello all, I'm a long time pool owner, and treat it like a kid or a pet. Chemistry and maintenance are always in good shape, so I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this.... My stainless separation tank has bit the dust for the second time, so I'm cutting it out of the system and just doing a backwash from the existing pipe with flexible hose into our sewer. BUT, I'll be danged if I can figure out how to get the 2" backwash hose to fit onto the 2" OD pvc pipe :(. Have flailed through the bins at the hardware stores and can't find anything that I could even glue to the existing pipe to make it work.

Probably missing an easy fix, but can't find one online either..... Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: How the heck do I connect a 2" backwash hose to a 2" pvc backwash hose???

Home Depot sells a plastic nipple that you can attach each hose to and put a clamp around to keep it from leaking. Each nipple has a few ridges all the way around so the clamp will be able to grab on to it and hold.

It's in the section where they sell backwash hoses. You can't miss it. Just make sure you get the double ended one.

I had to do this a few weeks ago. I used a heat gun (cheap one from harbor freight) to heat the end of the backwash hose, then my fingers (gloved) to stretch it. Repeat a few times. it doesn't take much heat to soften the vinyl hose. I used a hose clamp to secure the hose to the pvc pipe. The included one with the hose was too small for the pvc pipe and I never thought of using a barb fitting....

Thanks Dean, do you have to glue this in, or do the barbs secure it to the inside of the PVC pipe? Would certainly pipe clamp the flex hose, but wondering how the plastic bit stays in the hard, slick PVC pipe....

[/QUOTE]

Hey Josh, as I recall, I used pool lube and lots of swearing to get the blue hose on last time ;). The cheap hose rotted out in a year, so bought the Gorilla backwash hose from Amazon - kinda like a fire hose, so was thinking the same thing: use my cheap HF heat gun to soften it up a bit. Thanks!

The piece in the picture is meant to connect 2 backwash hoses together with no pvc in between. I also have one that only has barbs on one end and the other end has threads to screw into a 1.5" pvc female threaded coupler. The other end of the coupler is slip fit so it should be glued to 1.5" pipe.

I just put one of these together today so I could connect my vacuum hose to my utility pump. I originally used a thin backwash hose, but that doesn't work great when the pump is sitting at the bottom of the deep end and the backwash hose has to come up several feet. Because the backwash hose is flimsy, it gets pinched quite easily and makes the job more difficult. A pool vacuum hose is much more rigid and works much better.

Buy a 2" fpt to 2" slip PVC adapter, so now your PVC has female threads, then buy a 2" male threaded Barb for your backwash hose

AdapterPVC_IDHose_2_inchPoly_1.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hey Josh, as I recall, I used pool lube and lots of swearing to get the blue hose on last time ;). The cheap hose rotted out in a year, so bought the Gorilla backwash hose from Amazon - kinda like a fire hose, so was thinking the same thing: use my cheap HF heat gun to soften it up a bit. Thanks!
The Gorilla hose is reinforced with fiber, so it doesn't stretch. At all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.