How quickly does TA drop?

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
I'm trying to bring my TA down from 90 to 60. I added enough muriatic to bring the pH down to 7 and I'm running the fountain to aerate. I realize this is probably a factor of water volume, but what's a reasonable amount of time to expect a change in TA? Hours? Days? Weeks?

Drew,

When I lower my TA it takes me a couple of days.. Add acid, aerate, test... add more acid, aerate, test... Rinse and repeat every three or 4 hours... At first the TA moves very little, but as time goes by, it starts to drop more and more.. I'd shoot for a TA of 50, because it will quickly spring back to 60 or so...

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Richard320 my pH is constantly rising. I add muriatic practically every day, and if I go more than a day it will end up at well over 8. I have scale to show for it.
Just checking. ;)

This is the year that everyone seems to be attacking TA trying to keep it in the new "ideal" range rather than just "acceptable." I wanted to be sure you weren't micromanaging.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.