How quickly does TA drop?

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
I'm trying to bring my TA down from 90 to 60. I added enough muriatic to bring the pH down to 7 and I'm running the fountain to aerate. I realize this is probably a factor of water volume, but what's a reasonable amount of time to expect a change in TA? Hours? Days? Weeks?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hours after acid addition. Minutes really, but hours will ensure an accurate test.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Drew,

When I lower my TA it takes me a couple of days.. Add acid, aerate, test... add more acid, aerate, test... Rinse and repeat every three or 4 hours... At first the TA moves very little, but as time goes by, it starts to drop more and more.. I'd shoot for a TA of 50, because it will quickly spring back to 60 or so...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
@Richard320 my pH is constantly rising. I add muriatic practically every day, and if I go more than a day it will end up at well over 8. I have scale to show for it.

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
@Richard320 my pH is constantly rising. I add muriatic practically every day, and if I go more than a day it will end up at well over 8. I have scale to show for it.
Just checking. ;)

This is the year that everyone seems to be attacking TA trying to keep it in the new "ideal" range rather than just "acceptable." I wanted to be sure you weren't micromanaging.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
my pH is constantly rising.
Have we suggested you schedule your spa spillover to only 30 minutes or so twice a day? Your Prologic automation will do that.

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
@Richard320 I've had a pool before this one that kept a constant pH at around 7.8 even with a SWG. This one is 2 years old and I've been fighting pH since we built it. I probably am micromanaging a touch, but I would like it to be a little less hands on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.