How often to add bleach and using a stainless brush

I am speaking from a complete newbie perspective , I got my house last year with the pool. In the summer I add 1 gallon of bleach every 3-4 days.

In all honesty I used to test my pool almost everyday but after about 2-3 months of doing this I learnt the swimming pool, now after 10 months in the house I literally test the pool maybe twice per month (sometimes less). The old home owners where running the pump 12-14 hours per day = big electrical bills! I reduced it to around 4-5 hours per day! (massive reduction in electrical bills)

Every person that comes over always comments on how nice and clean the pool is, I use a hayward shark vac as needed.

Reactions: dabig05
I just noticed something. On the H-E-B website it states this is 8.25 bleach. Nowhere on the bottle does it say the percent. Someone from Texas on the stickied thread about best places to buy bleach mentioned H-E-B was quietly changing to 5.25 percent... I just added 1 121oz bottle and will test in 30 min and see where I am at and what is really in this bottle. I will say I went thru about 8 FC over the 90 degree day. Seems like a lot. Every time I test CYA I get 40 and sometimes 50 it’s tough.

If % sodium hypochlorite is not shown on the bottle it typically means it is less than 6%.

Yes it is 5.25 wow I feel stupid for buying 8 gallons of this lol. Added 1 121oz bottle to my 11300 pool and FC went up 4.5 just as pool math says.

I lost 8.5 FC during the day yesterday. Was sunny at about 90F. I think that’s high but then again I keep second guessing my CYA test. I think I can still see the black dot until 30-40.. I passed the overnight drop test losing only .5 FC so I am thinking I need more stabilizer with the sun I am getting. Mostly direct sunlight and my trees are always dropping stuff in the pool. I am going to try running my chlorinator with tabs to chlorinate for now, keeping track of my CYA until I am confident it is a solid 50-60 before going back to bleach. Also I need to find a new source as H-E-B is not honest on their concentration.

DJ,

Is Napco an option in NW Houston? They have 10+% and sell it in 2.5 gal+ refillable jugs you can buy from them or others. Their price is also usually the best in Houston.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! Long commute to Channelview already. Leslies has refillable jugs in many cities but don't appear to have it in Houston area. I'd check with other pool companies. Seems like there used to be one in the Memorial area. Also, check to see if there's a janitorial supply that has liquid bleach disinfecting liquid (make sure it's only sodium hypochlorite with no fragrance). Both may be better cost than Pool Essentials at WM.

Good luck! Wish I had a better answer for you.

Chris

Thanks. Pinch a penny has 10.5 but the initial cost for the container kills the advantage over HD. After that you get 2.5gal refills for 8.50 which isn’t bad.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thanks. Pinch a penny has 10.5 but the initial cost for the container kills the advantage over HD. After that you get 2.5gal refills for 8.50 which isn’t bad.

Wow! Jugs must have gone up a LOT. I think mine were about $5 but that was years ago. Maybe check online. Glad you got a good source of chlorine in your area! I used the liquid chlorine technique for may years with nothing but a sparkling pool and very few $ out of pocket!

Good luck!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.