How often does pH usually need to be adjusted?

May 21, 2020
Wisconsin
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I think I have my FC adjusted to a place where I am adding every other day in my tiny 1,000 gal pool. :) My question is, how often is it typical to have to adjust the pH? I have a small testing kit for just pH and FC and my pH seems to need to be adjusted down every other day if I'm trying to keep it at 7.6.
The pool was filled with well water that is high in TA (about 300), but neutral in pH. I use HTH pH Down, 1/2 cup every other day it seems. The TA may come down to 180 using test strips when I do this, but just climbs back up.
So do I just keep adjusting like this or is something more drastic in order? Pool season in WI is probably going to be another 4 weeks or so. TIA!

With TA 300 fill water it is impossible to win the battle. Your setup will require constant attention to the pH. It is not worth doing anything for the rest of this season.

At the start of next season you may want to try aggressively lowering your pool TA to 60 and see if you can keep it there as you lower pH.

With elevated TA, your pH will not stay in the 7's. For your situation, it is best to just keep adding small amounts of acid every few days to keep the pH as close to the upper 7's as you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.