Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-30 Plus
So I thought I had a handle on my pool until I realized my SWG was scaled up (in 6 months!) and my TA was making my pH run away. Dosing with MA once a week to get from 8.2 to 7.8 was not enough. I was testing FC once a week or so, CYA every month, TA/CH pretty much every few months. I guess I got comfortable with the SWG. Suddenly one weekend I noticed my pool not sparkling, lo and behold zero FC and the SWG had been off for a week. Turns out my CSI was to blame, and my TA of 120 was causing a pH of 8-8.2

Should I start testing everything once a month? More in the summer? I am working on lowering my TA. Its currently 80 but I think I will put a little more MA to get it to 70 and see how the pH rises. Should I go for even lower? I will also test/adjust pH twice week when I empty my skimmers instead of once a week. CH has held pretty constant. I tested my fill water too, as the pool needs constant topping off in the summer and the water from my tap has a pH of 8 and even a few ppm of FC. I have a SWG and waterfall that we use whenever we swim so I know that's working against me too.

I'm not sure my the official TFP guidance, but here is what I did:

Year 1 - Test TC/pH most days, full set of tests weekly
Since then I have backed off to testing TC/pH 1-2 times a week and a full set of tests every 1-2 months.

I would certainly step up your testing. I also would get more aggressive on the pH and hit it with enough MA to take it down to 7.4, and not let it get past 8.0.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for your input. Why do you say 7.4? According to pool math with my TA at 80, 7.8 would put me at CSI of near zero (-0.08).

There is a basic TFP-recommended frequency (below), but for my pool, if my SWG is in a good routine, I'll test my FC and pH every couple days. This year I have had to add acid just about every 2-3 days mostly due to the added water top-offs from the drought this year. I test my TA once a week or so. My CH and CYA maybe once a month.

When running normally in the summer I test FC about once a week. I will use the block to check TC more often. If the solution is not super dark yellow then I bring out the full test. I also test CYA weekly in the summer. For pH I have a probe plumbed in so I just check it every couple of days. Everything else kind of when I feel like it.

FC and pH 2-3x per week. TA weekly to every 2 weeks. Once I get CYA set early in the summer, it gets tested again only if I notice FC dropping slightly. CH, salt, phosphates - maybe once or twice a year. (Salt test is really just a spot check to verify cell reading.)

Thanks for your input. Why do you say 7.4? According to pool math with my TA at 80, 7.8 would put me at CSI of near zero (-0.08).
Since your SWCG was scaled up in 6 months, I was trying to make sure you stay negative on your CSI. Also your pool math logs say a TA of 120 10 days ago so taking it down to 7.4 should help bring down the TA over time.

Thanks. I have lowering the pH to 7ish then using my waterfall to bring the PH up. The TA is currently 80, but I'm debating if I should bring it down a little more to 60-70.

Should I start testing everything once a month? More in the summer?
I think you are on the right track that it is weather dependent. Due to the drought this year in Houston area, I have tested more frequently because of evaporation causing new water to be added, high UV burning off FC, more dust/debris moving around, etc. I try to test every 2nd day for FC, CC, pH and TA.
I do CH testing every week or so, and CYA every 2-3 weeks. It should be noted that I am retired and have the time - but I am also over cautious knowing the downside risk is a lot harder work to recover from an algae bloom then to prevent one.

When running normally in the summer I test FC about once a week. I will use the block to check TC more often. If the solution is not super dark yellow then I bring out the full test. I also test CYA weekly in the summer. For pH I have a probe plumbed in so I just check it every couple of days. Everything else kind of when I feel like it.
Ah, Florida and our disappearing CYA!

Reactions: TampaKathy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.