How much water loss should I expect..?

Jun 23, 2013
Okay, I live in South Florida on the Stranahan River, so my pool gets full sun all day, and there's a fairly constant westerly wind coming off the river (see pic) and blowing right over the pool surface as well.

I just spent a small fortune on my pool, getting it resurfaced, repairing leaks, having a new vacuum line installed, and all the pool-related electrical brought up to code.

So, presuming the leak repairs were successful, how much water should I expect to lose each week? An inch? Two? More..?

Work was completed 2 weeks ago, and I've lost an inch of water or so each week. Is that normal? I ask because my previous residence was 1/2 mile up the street on the same river, though not as exposed as this pool, and I only put an inch or two of water, if that, in the pool on a monthly basis.

Just curious as to what I should expect.

Attachments

• 20140810_113745-1.jpg
    20140810_113745-1.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 20
I'm west of Houston on the edge of the ancient Katy Prairie, and 40 miles from the Gulf of Mexico. Winds out of the south all the time, except when a norther briefly blows from the north, but there is wind pretty much all the time. We've been in a drought for some time here, and I became slightly alarmed at the rate of water drop, so I did the bucket test and found that we really are evaporating that much water. It's why I have the condensate from one A/C unit and a dehumidifier diverted to a rain barrel and then via faucet at the bottom of the barrel and a water hose to top off the pool. The condensate tests as pH of 5.8, -0- lead, -0- copper, and -0- iron, so I'm not worried about adding it to the pool. My A/C and dehumidifier are generating around 12 gallons of water a day. We've had a couple of breaks in the drought since I got the condensate setup, so I don't know if it will be more or less water than I need. I do feel like I'm helping to save the planet, though. :cool: Ten gallons a day times 10.4 million private pools in the U.S. That's a lot of water. Still can't get the numbers to work for solar panels, though.

When water evaporates from a pool, I'm assuming that does not lower CYA levels? Getting ready for a build and will be using tricolor tabs. Just curious if this would help lower levels when topping off the pool. I'm assuming not but just checking.

When water evaporates from a pool, I'm assuming that does not lower CYA levels?
It does not.
The continuous use of trichlor tablets is not sustainable. Unless you are willing to drain large amounts of water quite often.

Reactions: Bperry
If its still sunny out an inch a week is pretty normal. In the heat of summer I lose a lot more than that if there isnt any rain. During winter you should lose little to nothing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.