How much should a faux rock waterfall/slide combo like this run?

Feb 7, 2019
Missouri
We're in the process of planning our pool and we got a quote that seemed far more than it should have been. What should something like this RicoRock (or other faux rock) waterslide/waterfall/grotto run? Just the structure plus a dedicated pump, not a price for the whole pool. I know its hard to give exact numbers, just looking for a range. Any advice would be much appreciated.

What about something a little more modest like this?

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
The best thing you can do is to get at least 5 quotes in your area. We have found that prices differ even from one side of town to another in the bigger towns!

That would be a such a fun addition to a pool! Talk about something fun AND pretty!

galowbraw

Jan 11, 2019
SPRING/Texas
I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say you'll get quotes ranging from 7k-20k+ depending on what type/size rocks actually get used. If they use moss rock which are much smaller pieces and easier to handle/form, it would probably be cheaper. For the bigger rocks, they will need a crane or piece of equipment that won't tip when lifting those up. The rock alone, on the cheap side is roughly $100 each in the second picture. The first photo has much larger rocks/boulders. Just getting them to your house is the hardest part.

They both look beautiful though...

Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
We have a 12' gunite slide/waterfall combo with a separate Pentair 2hp pump. The combo added about $15-$17,000 to the price of our pool. The grotto/cave would have added thousands more. Other quotes we received were similar. Our slide chute is polished and sealed cement/gunite. The chute has been resurfaced twice in 4 years due to cracks. Although the kids love the slide and jump rocks, I'm not sure I would pay the premium next time.
Pool (2).jpg

Last edited:

galowbraw

Jan 11, 2019
SPRING/Texas
We have a 12' gunite slide/waterfall combo with a separate Pentair 2hp pump. The combo added about $15-$17,000 to the price of our pool. The grotto/cave would have added thousands more. Other quotes we received were similar. Our slide chute is polished and sealed cement/gunite. The chute has been resurfaced twice in 4 years due to cracks. Although the kids love the slide and jump rocks, I'm not sure I would pay the premium next time.
View attachment 93497
"Cost-o-Lot Falls" LOL!

Looks GREAT though...but I didn't pay for it. Sweet pool and good info Rancho...

OP
OP
M
Feb 7, 2019
Missouri
Great feedback, Rancho. Exactly the info I’m needing. Our quote was literally like 7x that amount. But it was with a swim-in grotto, a walk out path, A 6 foot cascading waterfall, and a 15 foot inter- fab slide. But I was thinking it would be on the order of “only” 40-50k. Would love to hear feedback from others if anyone else is willing to share.

Tx-C

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2017
Midlothian/ Texas
When we built ours last year, to do this was an extra 15k. We opted not to as we wanted to stay within a decent budget. We did get a plumbed slide and our Builder said we could add this at a later date since he was running the plumbing for this type of set up.

Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Great feedback, Rancho. Exactly the info I’m needing. Our quote was literally like 7x that amount. But it was with a swim-in grotto, a walk out path, A 6 foot cascading waterfall, and a 15 foot inter- fab slide. But I was thinking it would be on the order of “only” 40-50k. Would love to hear feedback from others if anyone else is willing to share.
That's a crazy price! I thought mine was too pricey.

Best of luck MUPPPP.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
My rock water fall is "usually" a $5k option but the builder was running a special where they installed 2 water falls for "free". So you can see there is a LOT of profit in waterfalls.

DogtownTX

Silver Supporter
May 30, 2012
Houston, TX
The two primary pool builders I got quotes from quoted $1,000 per ton of rocks. That was for strictly a waterfall type feature, no slides or grotto or anything. We decided to go in a different aesthetic direction and didn't do a rock waterfall so no idea what kind of rock that would have been. Assuming that was the cheapest possible rock.

Gorilla83

Silver Supporter
Jul 2, 2017
Thornton, PA
In my area (SE Pennsylvania) the slide alone w/ some of the surrounding things like steps, etc would be 15-20K by itself. Add in a grotto/waterfall and I'd be at 40-50+K easily. Labor is very regionally priced as you will find though. The amount of hardscaping/landscaping/lighting included in the package can vary the price quite a bit as well.