How much salt for 3500 ppm in a cup of water?

JimMarshall

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 5, 2017
Oil City PA
Been talking about a SWCG. Wife has some concern she will taste the salt. Want to make a cup of 3500 ppm water for her to taste. Anyone have any idea how much salt (by volume) I’d add to one cup of water to get this?

Using poolmath:
Cup of water: 236.588ml
For a 236,588 liters pool you would need 830Kg of salt for 3500ppm
830,000gr / 1000 / 1000 = 0.83gr of salt to get a cup of water to 3500ppm

Not sure if I am doing something wrong but it seems that it is not more than 1gr.

I have salt water pool and I can tell you that is barely noticeable.

For a cup of water, it would take 0.828 grams of salt.

3.5 grams of salt is about 2.54 ml assuming a bulk density of about 1.378 grams per milliliter for fine table salt.

Does your wife plan on drinking lots of pool water???

Ok, that was a cheap shot, but this is a line of questioning about SWG pools that I never really understood. Pool water is not drinking water and so it’s “taste” really isn’t an issue. Human “saltiness” perception can vary quite widely with some people able to sense the taste of salt at levels below 1000ppm while others can’t distinguish it even at 3600ppm (maybe too many buffalo wings were consumed in their youth :scratch: ). But, at the end of the day, the benefits of an SWG pool in terms of sanitation and ease of use so far outweigh the idea of some kind of “off taste” to the water, that it’s not even a consideration.

Perhaps this is a marketing problem and the industry should stop referring to it as “salt water” pools and “salt water” chlorine generators. Perhaps a new name is in order for a salt-water chlorine generator (SWCG) .... :scratch:

Sanitizing Halogen Injection Tool .... (SH.... oh never mind .....

This is a thread about spouse management. Not about pool myths or water chemistry.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What you can do is add salt to your pool and bring to 2,000 ppm. Then see if she notices any difference. Keep adding one bag weekly and increasing the levels until you hit your 3,200 target. Then, see if she notices any difference. After conversion, the first time I dove in, right away I noticed the difference, but of course did not drink the water. A year later, the water feels no different than when the pool was at 600, or 1,200 ppm of salt. My salt level increased with the addition of liquid chlorine over a few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.