How much liquid chlorine to add into a pool with algae to shock it?

glocks999

Aug 7, 2021
chicago
I have a 14,000-gallon pool that is a little cloudy with algae. I'm wondering how many 12.5% sodium gallons of chlorine I should add to shock it overnight. I bought 8 gallons today. The pool guy said to add all 8 gallons of chlorine, but I feel like that's too much for a 14,000 gallon pool.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
Using PoolMath, adding about 3 qts of 12.5% will add 5 ppm FC to your pool volume.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.