How much liquid chlorine is normal?

dooger54

Gold Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Tucson AZ
Recently bought a new home with a pool that does not have a SWCG. My previous pool had one so I am not used to adding liquid chlorine. 20,000 gallon pool. If I want my FC to be 3-5 what would be a normal amount of chlorine I will need to add? Seems like I am adding gallons regularly and having a hard time getting above 1-2 FC.

You are not recording your testing results in Poolmath -- so what is your CYA?
If your CYA is 50-60 ppm, I would suspect you would be using about 3-4 ppm FC per day right now. So a 20000 gallon pool would use just under 1 gallon of 10% liquid chlorine every day.

I thought I was recording my results in Poolmath on my iPhone. Not sure why it doesn't show up. Anyway, am going to go ahead with a new SWCG, adding that much chlorine everyday is going to get really expensive. my CYA is 35, fyi.

Be sure you save the data you enter by touching the check mark in the upper right after entering your data.

At a CYA of 40 (round up), your FC loss is likely a bit higher each day.

Hopefully you ordered an IC60 to integrate with your EasyTouch. Having a 22,000 gallon pool in Tucson, an IC40 is going to have to run more than 12 hours per day to provide the necessary chlorine.

It is recommended to dose for CYA 70 with a SWG. Some members in the desert southwest choose a CYA of 80.

Be sure to test your pool water salt level BEFORE adding additional salt. Adding liquid or solid forms of chlorine and adding MA all adds salt to the water. Given that you drained/refilled 3 weeks ago, it's probably minimal.

What test kit are you using? Add it to your signature. Also suggest you get a K1766 salt test kit if you don't already have a drop test based salt test kit.

Update your signature with model numbers for your equipment and test kit info.
This assists us when providing you help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.