How much is gunite or fiberglass worth over vinyl?

I would suggest you manage the project yourself... Your biggest expense is the gunite phase... Try to find a gunite contractor in your area and maybe try to get some rough estimates for a 16x40 pool.

I guess I'm a little nervous. With our house, I knew enough about what needed to be done in order to manage with no issues. Does anyone have a checklist of exactly what needs to be done and in what order when an owner manages? Dig, rough in plumbing, rebar, gunite, plaster, then plumber and electrician to hook it all up? I'm wondering how hard it'd be to find subs in our area who have done a pool build as well.

I guess I'm a little nervous. With our house, I knew enough about what needed to be done in order to manage with no issues. Does anyone have a checklist of exactly what needs to be done and in what order when an owner manages? Dig, rough in plumbing, rebar, gunite, plaster, then plumber and electrician to hook it all up? I'm wondering how hard it'd be to find subs in our area who have done a pool build as well.
The first thing you need to do is your construction plan that will detail the pool shell specs, number of returns, skimmers, drains and their locations... There are websites online you can do that and you can even pay a slight premium to have someone school you in the process. After that here is the basic:

1. excavation, haul away dirt, set forms, set stone on bottom (#57 crushed stone)
2. steel rebar, I believe #3 for most of the pool and #4 for the bond beam
3. plumbing ( you should have bought your skimmers, drains & equipment (pump, heater, filter, salt cell, etc)
4. gunite phase
5. electrical
6. tile & coping
7. decking (concrete, pavers, stone, etc)
8. plaster
9. landscaping

Reactions: nobueno
Wow! At those prices we wouldn’t be able to have a pool.

Our vinyl liner pool was installed in 2004. No regrets going vinyl (pretty typical for pools here). All in it came to about $26k. Length is 40’, deep end (non-diving) is 18.5’ wide, shallow end is 22’ wide.

90784E7E-5F52-4114-B149-383F4C7A37FA.jpeg

So here's the thing...in your climate, how many months of the year can you use your pool? Here in Michigan where we can only use our pool 6 months of the year, vinyl is very prevalent. I would never spend 200K on a pool that I can only use for six months of the year. You better like the cover it comes with cuz that's what you'll be mostly looking at, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.