How much is gunite or fiberglass worth over vinyl?

nobueno

Sep 25, 2019
Erie, CO
I am guessing you have alot of rock or other ground issues to deal with,
Just appears to be the market in our area. Our water table is at 12', we have good soil, the pool will be located within 20' of both our electrical and nat gas hookups and there is plenty of room to build.

If any of these would have approached $100k, I wouldn't have a pool right now.
That's how I was starting to feel. Very discouraging way to start my search.

nobueno

Sep 25, 2019
Erie, CO
So $50k to dig a hole. Shoot I’ll rent a truck and a backhoe and come do it for $35k. Deal ? Tell your neighbors. I’ll give you a 10% finders fee each time. Lol
I know. After seeing some of the quotes from PB in Kansas I was considering seeing if they would travel to do a build.

Jcvader99

Bronze Supporter
Feb 8, 2018
Charleston SC
What manufacturer of fiberglass pool were they quoting that is cheaper than vinyl?
This is the person/company I got fiberglass quotes from... NOTE: I did not end up with a fiberglass pool so this is not an endorsement... just passing along contact info:
-----------------------
Luis Savastano
Vice President (North America)

Leisure Pools and Spas Manufacturing North America, Inc.
2600 Sea Ray Drive, Knoxville, Tennessee 37914
Telephone 865 219 2880
Facsimile 865 219 2889
Mobile 865 329 7793
Email luis.savastano@leisurepoolscorporate.com
Web http://www.leisurepoolsonline.com
Follow us Twitter | FaceBook | YouTube | Google+
-------------------

malba2366

Jul 27, 2016
Middletown, NY
This is the person/company I got fiberglass quotes from... NOTE: I did not end up with a fiberglass pool so this is not an endorsement... just passing along contact info:
-----------------------
Luis Savastano
Vice President (North America)

Leisure Pools and Spas Manufacturing North America, Inc.
2600 Sea Ray Drive, Knoxville, Tennessee 37914
Telephone 865 219 2880
Facsimile 865 219 2889
Mobile 865 329 7793
Email luis.savastano@leisurepoolscorporate.com
Web http://www.leisurepoolsonline.com
Follow us Twitter | FaceBook | YouTube | Google+
-------------------

Ahh yes...Leisure pools direct. I entertained that option as well as it is a good price savings, but there are too many moving parts to coordinate with a finished pool project and my work schedule just does not allow for me to actively coordinate all of it.

Chickinvic

Jul 12, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I guess I was primarily wondering if everyone with gunite was still choosing gunite if the price difference was normally so drastic. Apparently that is not the case in most places except NY and CO.
Nobody has gunite pools here. Almost all the pools in Ontario (and probably Canada) are vinyl, with some fiberglass pools getting common too (but nowhere near as common as vinyl). It is quite rare that someone would have gunite. I have no idea what gunite would cost, but a lot I'd imagine.

Reactions: Newdude

Chickinvic

Jul 12, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
That's how I felt. On the fiberglass PB website it stated: "Ballpark figures would be $32,000-$35,000 for smaller pools, $42,000-$45,000 for medium pools, and $50,000+ for large pools." As the total cost of the pool installed. Then when I talked to him on the phone, he tried to tell me that was their cost for the shell and their builds started at over 100k. I stopped talking to him after that.
He just didn't want the job. Tradespeople always give outrageously high quotes when they are busy and don't need the work. (I guess if you'd been fool enough to go along with it he'd have found the time to do the job at those insane prices).

Reactions: Newdude

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Wow for that price if I had to have a pool I would look to be moving into a home that already had a pool. When we got quotes 3 years ago vinyl was I think like 30% cheaper than gunite ($65k vs $45k). Fiberglass was like 10% cheaper.

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
Vinyl is popular in freeze areas and gunite more so south and west. Many areas dont have enough work for gunite crews and there are crews that actually travel with the weather same with plasterers. Nowadays you can do anything with a vinyl pool except stools and tables in the pool. With no border liners and vinyl over stairs you have to get it the pool and check to know the difference. You can tell anybody its concrete.......the bottom has Portland cement in it and it has a big footing. I could win the lottery and I'm not spending 100k on a hole in the ground

Reactions: Chickinvic

newpoolbuild

Sep 23, 2019
NY
I used to live in NJ. Pools in your area Easily cost $100k +.The property taxes are even worse.
Vinyl is popular in freeze areas and gunite more so south and west. Many areas dont have enough work for gunite crews and there are crews that actually travel with the weather same with plasterers. Nowadays you can do anything with a vinyl pool except stools and tables in the pool. With no border liners and vinyl over stairs you have to get it the pool and check to know the difference. You can tell anybody its concrete.......the bottom has Portland cement in it and it has a big footing. I could win the lottery and I'm not spending 100k on a hole in the ground

nobueno

Sep 25, 2019
Erie, CO
Just got another bid today approaching 200k for a basic geometric 16x40 gunite pool. "A base price with standard structure pool design (no piers) if needed much more and to include 20’ run of Gas & Elec. with all filtration,Auto cover -5’ of concrete decks and a 16’ x 40’ - 3.5’ - 8.5’ deep pool would be in the area of $175,000.00-$185,000.00"

I don't understand how they're able to charge so much. Having difficulty finding more vinyl builders in our area but I feel pretty good about the one we've found. Waiting on his estimate still though.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
I hope you are paying cash. According to Bankrate.com at the going rate of 4.5%, A 10 year loan for $200k has $45k in interest. 15 years was $75k and 20 years was $103k. Ouuuuuuuuuch.

nobueno

Sep 25, 2019
Erie, CO
I hope you are paying cash. According to Bankrate.com at the going rate of 4.5%, A 10 year loan for $200k has $45k in interest. 15 years was $75k and 20 years was $103k. Ouuuuuuuuuch.
Yea, if it costs much over 80k we're likely just not going to build one. Luckily the vinyl bid should come in around 60k with autocover.

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Just got another bid today approaching 200k for a basic geometric 16x40 gunite pool. "A base price with standard structure pool design (no piers) if needed much more and to include 20’ run of Gas & Elec. with all filtration,Auto cover -5’ of concrete decks and a 16’ x 40’ - 3.5’ - 8.5’ deep pool would be in the area of $175,000.00-$185,000.00"

I don't understand how they're able to charge so much. Having difficulty finding more vinyl builders in our area but I feel pretty good about the one we've found. Waiting on his estimate still though.
Wow. Just wow. This is totally out of the norm of reasonable pricing for a basic pool. I feel bad for you that you are in an area where there are so little supply for an obviously high demand. That $200k bid sounds like $150k of pure profit. I mean capitalism and all aside for me that would put a nail in the coffin of a pool. I was serious with my previous reply though; have you considered moving to a house that already has a pool? Pools do not add much to a house, but $200k sure does. You could be moving to a castle with a pool already installed for the same money.

What about contracting this yourself? Costs are costs there isn't a lot of big-time managing the project is relatively small. Dig hole, rebar hole, shoot gunite or place pool (fg), plumbing, electric, deck, pool equipment.