How much filter glass media needed?

How much sand does the filter take?

Are there instructions on the glass media bag for how much to use to replace sand?

TFP recommends using pool sand. No need for an alternative media.
Ahh..that would be easier for me too..thx! Surprisingly, maybe it's my area, but I have to order glass media whereas there is plenty of sand media (Quikrete) at my local hardware store. I really appreciate the response, as a new pool owner I wanted to get things right the first time. I read alot on the TFP site and seems like the majority are using sand..that's good enough for me.

Last edited:
Be aware that members have had issues with Quiikrete pool sand. So you might look for another source. Pool stores carry it too.

Odd that you cannot find water softener salt at a big box store. Just be sure it is plain.

Be aware that members have had issues with Quiikrete pool sand. So you might look for another source. Pool stores carry it too.

Odd that you cannot find water softener salt at a big box store. Just be sure it is plain.

Really?! So pool store sand is better? I've heard pool stores charge more for the same product. What is a popular sand then for the sand pool pump?

The sand in a pool sand filter (#20 silica sand; 45 - 55 mm).

You are right, pool stores will charge more. I was just letting you know what other members have reported in the past.

Do a search of Quikrete in the forum.

Reactions: taprackbang
Ok, doing my diligent research and I'm going to stay the course and go to sand (it's a sand filter right..and from other recommendations..thank you). However, it seems that the Mystic White II brand is the best, but MAN that stuff is no where to be found in California. I called my local pool store (Leslie's) and they have sand called PW Gillibrand #20 Silica (I believe it's a local company out here). My concern is the QC on it. I don't want to run into problems from what I read about Quikrete. Any SoCal folks around here recommend their brand of sand?

Here is the data sheet on the PW Gillenbrand #20 silica https://www.angelusblock.com/assets/docs/Gillibrand20TDS.pdf According to the data sheet it says it falls in the .40 - .55 effective size for #20 ..

I am getting neurotic..

Update: Interesting, I called a few pool stores up in my area and the only brand of sand they carry is this PW Gillibrand. Guess that's it..hopefully it is better quality than Quikrete

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got some cruddy sand from the hardware store, everytime I backwash I get a little poof of it through the return, but it is clean and not a huge deal. the intex robot picks it right up, or you can use a garden hose to siphon it out. more junk comes in from the wind and feet than that. don't stress about your sand. get what is available. it all works.

Reactions: taprackbang
I got some cruddy sand from the hardware store, everytime I backwash I get a little poof of it through the return, but it is clean and not a huge deal. the intex robot picks it right up, or you can use a garden hose to siphon it out. more junk comes in from the wind and feet than that. don't stress about your sand. get what is available. it all works.

Yes, thank you..figure it's all learning and appreciating..I'm going to pick up some of it today and try to get the new system up and running by this weekend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.