Determining sand fill level; Glass media vs sand?

Good afternoon everyone from North Carolina. I have just opened up the Hayward S220-T sand filter here. It was very dirty (limits of backwashing revealed) and I have done a deep (manual) clean, followed by sand cleaner treatment. Service history is unavailable.

Two issues :

#1 - fill guidelines - It looks much better after my deep clean work, but I am confident that the current sand load is below the recommended level. The filling guidelines for this model (from Owner's Manual) states 250 lbs, or 'installed height' of 41". I need to follow the latter measurement, due to the fact that I am adding to an existing fill. Does anyone know how the height measurement is taken? Most likely - from the interior measurement off filter chamber floor... but it could also reference ground level (including the supporting base). I guess either one is an improvement over what might be a 50% load.

#2 - new media? - I have been researching the idea of simply swapping over to glass media. I have not found any definitive information online, in particular any tests that compare sand and glass. If you have experience with doing this upgrade, would you post something here?

Attachments

• equipment pad1.JPG
    equipment pad1.JPG
    696.4 KB · Views: 0
#2 - new media? - I have been researching the idea of simply swapping over to glass media. I have not found any definitive information online, in particular any tests that compare sand and glass. If you have experience with doing this upgrade, would you post something here?
We recommend sand.

Thanks all. Not sure what to make of adding sand until the vessel start to bend inwards - naval humor?

The tabulated value of adding sand to an installed height of 41" makes no sense to me - that height, even off the supporting pad, is well beyond the overall height of the filter system. I added another 50 lb bag and left it at that.

Interesting observation from deep clean with a garden hose. With max flow (still moderately gentle below the water surface), I worked the hose gently up and down throughout the entire body of sand, being careful about contact with the laterals. I must have done this for at least 20 mins, and the rate at which debris washed over the side of the filter body never really slowed down. Amazing. I stopped in the end due to the amount of water I was consuming in this process.

After reassembly, I did a backwash and then rinse cycle. I think that's about as clean as anyone would be able to get it. I have one rookie mistake to deal with today - I repositioned the sand filter package on the pad BEFORE reconnecting unions. Now that the sand filter is fully loaded (and hundreds of lbs weight) I don't have things lined up properly. I am planning to unload about 50% of the sand using shop vacc and wheelbarrow, getting everything hooked up properly, and then reload it. Lesson learned!

Not sure what to make of adding sand until the vessel start to bend inwards - naval humor?
There is usually a seam for the dome where it meets the 'sides' of the tank. If not, close enough is close enough.

Screenshot_20240528_112806_Gallery.jpg

I posted the instructions from the manual - it says to fill the tank up until there is at least 6” of freeboard space from the level surface of the sand to the top of the filter.

Just use a rule to measure it … not that hard …

1716911196964.png
The red arrow should measure 6”

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude