How much FC shock?

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
Hi all,

A good friend is filling his pool with relatively clean water from a stream to avoid using his shallow well. The water is going through a 50 micron filter before going into the pool.

I felt once it's full he should get his FC up to 12ppm and start adding CYA. He's going to get me a pH reading tonight.

But considering the source I wanted opinions. Should he go higher? He'll be using 73% cal-hypo initially.

Hi all,

A good friend is filling his pool with relatively clean water from a stream to avoid using his shallow well. The water is going through a 50 micron filter before going into the pool.

I felt once it's full he should get his FC up to 12ppm and start adding CYA. He's going to get me a pH reading tonight.

But considering the source I wanted opinions. Should he go higher? He'll be using 73% cal-hypo initially.
If it’s stream water, having a bit higher chlorine to start wouldn’t be bad, but not sure there’s any point in 12ppm until it’s full and you know the stabilizer levels and he has a test kit that can measure those levels.

Reactions: cj133
Putting ANY chlorine in a pool without CYA in it will just waste that chlorine as the sun burns it all off.
Tell him to put 30ppm of CYA stabilizer in a sock and hang over the pool edge in the water but don't let it touch pool walls (found at Walmart or Lowes) and then add 5ppm of Liquid Chlorine.
Use PoolMath (either App on phone or computer web version found on bottom of this page) to determine how much chemical equals 5ppm and 30 ppm in his pool. Without knowing his gallons I can't just guess?

Maddie 🐞

Putting ANY chlorine in a pool without CYA in it will just waste that chlorine as the sun burns it all off.
Tell him to put 30ppm of CYA stabilizer in a sock and hang over the pool edge in the water but don't let it touch pool walls (found at Walmart or Lowes) and then add 5ppm of Liquid Chlorine.
Use PoolMath (either App on phone or computer web version found on bottom of this page) to determine how much chemical equals 5ppm and 30 ppm in his pool. Without knowing his gallons I can't just guess?

Maddie 🐞
I was going to have him add it around 8pm at night. I don't feel that's a waste.

Reactions: mknauss
That will work, but once the sun comes up in the morning, it will get burnt off fast without any CYA. Hang the sock at the same time, or if the pool is still very empty, put the sock in a 5 gallon bucket full of water and let it soak. Then squeeze the sock every couple of hours to get the cya to mix with the water and toss that mixture in the pool. Refill the bucket with water and keep squeezing and rinse, repeat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.