How much FC do you lose per day?

Cody

Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Prosper, TX
Wanted to start a thread on this to see what people are seeing. Probably helpful to include test results and weather...I'll start:

FC 4.0 (this was last night, after I raised to 8.0 the night before)
pH 7.6
TA 80
CH 250
CYA 40
Water Temp 91

Weather sunny mid 90s

I'm currently losing about 4ppm per day of FC which is more than I was losing last year, and I don't know what to attribute it to.

What are you seeing in loss per day?

I am losing about 5ppm per day, CYA of 70 (should raise it but not yet!), water temperature 90F, daytime high temperature of 115F.

2 - 3 per day (goes from 6 down to 3 or 4), 30 CYA, air temp around 90, low around 75, water is about 80 degrees. More northerly than you guys and trees shade the pool in the morning.

I’m losing about 1.5, combined with the 1.3 that the SWCG produces during the 10 hours that’s a total loss of 2.8 ppm. Start the day at 7.0 FC and it is 5.5 twelve hours later.

Pool temp is 90, air is 94, CYA is 60.

FC loss is 2ppm with CYA at 30ppm, water temp 83, air temp 97 high 67 low and sunny all day. Pool is spotless. :snorkle:

Mine was closer to 2.5 loss per day last year....your results are much closer to that. Is your pool shaded? Mine has sun from about 10am to 6pm (but did last year as well).

I'm thinking of bumping CYA up to 50....anyone have thoughts on that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any chemical experts think it would make much of a difference if I went from 40 to 50 on CYA? I know I'm splitting hairs here, but that's half the fun when you take care of your own pool!

Try it out. you might benefit from less FC loss.
I started with 30 and that has proven to not be enough, so 50 is what I've used the last 3 years.

I lose anywhere from .5 (cover on all day) to 2 to 3 ppm on swimming days. (cover off 10am to 7pm)
If more guests are over and in the pool that number goes up of course.

My CYA is at 40, and I lose about 1.5 - 2 ppm FC during sun hours. I lose less than 1 ppm overnight. Maybe you should try checking your OCLT one night, see if you have >1 ppm loss. That means you have something organic eating up your chlorine, likely algae or fungus.

Mine went UP today!

Tested at 7AM and it was 6.0. Tested at 6PM and it was 6.5. Beautiful sunny day, high around 95 degrees, I doubted the results so I tested again at 7PM after swimming for an hour and it was 7.5!

I should probably wear my glasses when I test in the future.

I would like to expose my strange case.

I have a bromine pool with polycarbonate cover 99.9 % closed.

I am loosing 1 ppm in FC scale (suppose 2.25 in Br scale) but in 4 - 5 days (with no bromine at al)l!!.

Is it normal so low loose? I am making something wrong or it can be possible?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.