How much does it cost you for pool fill in your area

ciaka

Jun 10, 2020
Austin, TX
Just curious how much y'alls pool fill cost you, and where you live. When I moved from TX to Northern CA (Santa Clara, Si Valley), inquired as was going to buy house, and was told 4k...so off I went moving back to TX (lol, not really reason for moving back, my soul will always be in TX).
So moved back.
Live in Dripping Springs, TX. My 34k gallon pool fill cost me exactly $220. Total bill for month, including daily use, softener work, laundry, was $310, and our normal monthly bill is about 80-$90.
So curious how much it costs for water, around the country. Wod be nice to know volume, city, cost, and date (if filled long ago). Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious how much y'alls pool fill cost you, and where you live. When I moved from TX to Northern CA (Santa Clara, Si Valley), inquired as was going to buy house, and was told 4k...so off I went moving back to TX (lol, not really reason for moving back, my soul will always be in TX).
So moved back.
Live in Dripping Springs, TX. My 34k gallon pool fill cost me exactly $220. Total bill for month, including daily use, softener work, laundry, was $310, and our normal monthly bill is about 80-$90.
So curious how much it costs for water, around the country. Wod be nice to know volume, city, cost, and date (if filled long ago). Thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

I live in Southern California (Palm
Springs) and filled my pool in October. My total water bill was 89$ (normally around 40). I was shocked as I thought it would be 200-300. My
Pool is approximately 15,000 gallons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved into a new place in October, fixed leaking toilets in November, and drained/refilled over half the pool in December. The highest water bill was November :)

Around here with combined water+sewer charges it's roughly $4/1000 gal. depending on your total usage.

Northeast PA (Allentown is the closest 'big' city): trucked in pool water pricing as of Aug 2019 - As long as the pool is within 300 feet from the road, the price would be 5.0 cents a gallon. 23,000 gallons @ 5.0 = $1,150.00.

We have a well, and didn't want the strain on our pump (or the wait to do it spaced out) or the crappy well water quality for our pool.

Here in North Ms- I believe it was around $40 or so to fill my 27k gallon. I don’t have access to my PoolMath app right now (phone problems 😩) but when I get access again I can check my log.

Rate here would depend on if you're inside/outside city limits. Numbers below are for single-family homes. Since it's based on total water used and the rate increases as you use more, your baseline usage would influence the cost.

Since we filled the pool in the same month as laying new sod and watering it twice per day, our pool fill water was more expensive, also. We estimate our cost was around $100 - 130.

Inside Boerne city limits:
Per 100 Gallons First 0-6,000 gal. $0.208
Next 6,001-10,000 gal. $0.348
Next 10,001-15,000 gal. $0.477
Next 15,001-25,000 gal. $0.522
Next 25,001-50,000 gal. $0.730
Next 50,001-100,000 gal. $0.865
All excess over 100,001 gal. $1.355

Outside city limits:
First 0-6,000 gal. $0.250
Next 6,001-10,000 gal. $0.418
Next 10,001-15,000 gal. $0.572
Next 15,001-25,000 gal. $0.626
Next 25,001-50,000 gal. $0.876
Next 50,001-100,000 gal. $1.038
All excess over 100,001 gal. $1.626

You want prices, let me give you prices. Not generalized, but exact. My city (Janesville, WI) has a three-tired charging system. Water is billed in quarterly intervals. The first 15 ccf is $2.19/ccf, the next 25 ccf is $2.87/ccf, and over 40 ccf is $3.70/ccf. Wastewater is billed at $2.01/ccf. Then there's fixed quarterly service charges for water and wastewater, but we only want the marginal cost for filling a pool. Given the three tiered system, the cost will vary based on normal water usage. We've only gotten three full quarterly statements at this house, the Mar-May one was 15 ccf, Jun-Aug was 36 ccf, and Sep-Nov was 15 ccf. Given we filled our pool in June, we have two datapoints to suggest our normal water use is 15 ccf. Therefore, any pool filling for us would be at the 15-40 ccf billing rate of $2.87 until we exceed 40 ccf. (1 ccf is 100 cubic feet, or 748 gallons)

Our pool is roughly 15,000 gallons. At 748 gallons per ccf, that's 20 ccf to fill the pool at $2.87/ccf or $57.40 for the water.

Now, there's another point to this. If you have a clear water meter to measure outdoor water usage (water that doesn't go down the sewer), they will subtract the clear water meter reading from the main water meter reading to calculate wastewater charges, otherwise it's all billed based on your main water meter, regardless of if you use 75% of it to water or fill pools. Our house does not have an active clear water meter (it has one but the previous owners didn't pay to upgrade the transmitter so it's not currently in use), so for that fill we were also charged $2.01*20 = $40.20 in wastewater charges.

Grand total for our 15,000 pool fill: $98. Could have been: $57. Maximum charge it could possibly have been is $114 for someone with a base water usage of 40 ccf per quarter or more and who didn't have a clear meter.

I actually meant to pay the city to upgrade the clear water meter, but with the fence and pool permit and building (DIY fence install) I just never got around to doing it. I had inquired and it was something like $140 to upgrade the transmitter and $220 if I wanted them to replace the meter, which isn't required if it's still working but it's a 30 year old meter so its days may be limited. Obviously that's a lot of wastewater, but if we live here long enough it would pay for itself. Fun fact, when I was asking for prices the lady told me the previous owners, who had installed an in-ground sprinkler system and were obsessed with the grass, had paid over $600 in extra wastewater charges they didn't need to pay from the time the transmitter needed to be upgraded and they declined to pay to have it upgraded and the time they sold the house to us (based on my supplied clear water reading, since the transmitter is obviously no longer working).

I will be getting the clear water meter going again, cause while I have no intention of watering the grass on a regular basis unlike the previous owners, I drained the pool approximately 1/3 for the winter and that will need to be refilled once things start to warm back up. I've got a lot of grass seed to plant to finish fixing my yard from the pool/fence install, and I plan on doing a bunch of planting around the house and I'll need to water to get things established. Plus pool top-ups occasionally and spa water changes, but these are relatively small water usages.

I feel this is approaching an @Dirk level response. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Mdragger88 and Dirk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone from NirCal care to add their $0.02 Worth? Wife is wondering if I would be willing to move to CA again. I knew we shouldn't have gone there to visit. Gonna get large tatoo of TX somewhere. Maybe then she will get it.

Wow I thought my $200 was cheap for 28000. And that’s after emailing them and getting some credit back for sewer. My normal monthly bill is $70.
if my pool gets too bad I drain and refill. before Joining here is was easy to spend more then that clearing it up. I am on a hill so don’t have to worry about it lifting.

I live in the SF Bay Area.

1 unit = 100 cubic feet = 748 gallons = $4.59

I'm doing a remodel, so my 30K pool will cost about $184 to fill. Maybe someone though you meant the cost to fill in the pool i (e.g. get rid of it). That's pretty common here as well and when I saw the title, that's what I thought

Scary to think what these number are going to be like in 10 or 20 years. Water is going to be a commodity (like, on the stock market) soon enough. It's going to get interesting for those of us with pools and trees and plants. What was that movie where their crops were dying because they replaced water with fruit punch or gatorade or something?!? When comedy becomes reality... good times...

Those were given to me to fill pool with water.
I did have a coworker who bought house, and had water quality issues. So after short while, hired crew to destroy and fill in the pool. Had I known about this forum, I would have helped him get it right. Well, now he has an underground pool, that he doesn't use.
Thanks for the info though.

I'm doing a remodel, so my 30K pool will cost about $184 to fill. Maybe someone though you meant the cost to fill in the pool i (e.g. get rid of it). That's pretty common here as well and when I saw the title, that's what I thought

I fiq your California folks would pay through the nose since housing is so expensive.
Sounds like y’all pay less then I do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.