How much bleach on average for startup?

A full suite of test results would help to see if we can give any guidance on your SLAM.
A sand filter can take awhile to clear - try Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

You have a large pool. Going from a swamp to clear takes some work. That is why it is best to not let it get to be a swamp!

Good luck.

dont give up...the SLAM process works! How long have you been slamming for?

I opened to a swamp...bought about 25 gallons of chlorine...so me about $100. I slammed for 16 days to get it to where I am today. The green cleared after 3 days...the cloudiness lasted like 10-11 days. I was already ready to give up and just buy clarifier....but I just bought some DE, put 2 cups in the skimmer, and it really helped

Pre pics:

0kNxtSG.jpg

oZgUKFi.jpg

Today:

LPsglmi.jpg

CFLFvO3.jpg

P1sNA2e.jpg

Yesterday, I decided to do a deep clean on my filter. I had never found that idea on here before. It was so bad we decided the sand needed to be replaced. I am hoping that helps clear things up. I had already tried DE in my filter. I have the Taylor kit, so I know my numbers are accurate. Right now I am trying to get my CYA up and stay there, it was 0, still registering at that after almost a full container of the stuff. That seems to be taking forever. And I keep plugging away at the SLAM. I will try adding DE to my new sand filter today too.

Yesterday, I decided to do a deep clean on my filter. I had never found that idea on here before. It was so bad we decided the sand needed to be replaced. I am hoping that helps clear things up. I had already tried DE in my filter. I have the Taylor kit, so I know my numbers are accurate. Right now I am trying to get my CYA up and stay there, it was 0, still registering at that after almost a full container of the stuff. That seems to be taking forever. And I keep plugging away at the SLAM. I will try adding DE to my new sand filter today too.

What do you mean get the CYA up and stay there? Did it go down?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So have added 4 lbs of CYA to my pool now over the course of the last 20 days, it is still not registering! Water still extremetly cloudy. I had my ph at 7.6 when i started slamming. I have been bringing my chlorine up to 10-12ppm based on the chart.

Adding 4 lbs of CYA would bring your pool from 0 to 20. That small ppm might not show up when doing the test. Sounds like you did it right, have faith that you have 20ppm CYA. If that is all the CYA you added and the pool gets a lot of direct sunlight, you probably need more. Up around 50ppm will help protect the FC from being destroyed by the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.