Reading PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I installed my SWG in 2014. I Have not had to replace my cell yet. How long do they last and how will I know? I am assuming it is as simple as chlorine levels dropping with no explanation??

I installed my SWG in 2014. I Have not had to replace my cell yet. How long do they last and how will I know?
Ssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't say that and jinx yourself. 8 years is very nice. While various factors influence the longevity of a cell, anything over 5-6 years is getting your money's worth. Faults vary by model of SWG whether it be mechanical, electrical, etc. Certainly loss of FC production is a key indicator if the plates are in good shape.

The plates look brand new. Literally. I have never had build up on them - ever. Its kind of crazy. I don't know why - but I haven't. I inspect as needed every season and they have always looked perfect. I will for a ninth season then ...

Reactions: Texas Splash
wp,

My standard answer to that question is 5 to 7 years. This obviously means some last longer and some for a shorter period of time.

In the last year or so, I have replaced two IC40 cells. One was almost 9 years old and the other over 7 years old. The failure on both was they had an intermittent flashing "Cell" light (even though they were clean) and quit making chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My SJ 45 lasted about 6 or 7 years, I had to run my pump longer to keep the same FC level.. When your FC starts dropping and you have to run longer is your answer.. :)

wp,

My standard answer to that question is 5 to 7 years. This obviously means some last longer and some for a shorter period of time.

In the last year or so, I have replaced two IC40 cells. One was almost 9 years old and the other over 7 years old. The failure on both was they had an intermittent flashing "Cell" light (even though they were clean) and quit making chlorine.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Mine is 7 years old. So I may need to replace it soon?

Hayward specs their cells at around 8500 generating hours. If you take your average % and the hours per day the pump is running you can calculate about how long the 8500 hour will get you.

When the average salt level at the panel is less then 75% of the measured salinity the cell is on its last legs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.