How long to run pump? What RPM, Pentair IntelliFlo 011018?

Read the link below -- turnover is a myth.

Q,

You can run your pump for as long as you want.. Other than electrical costs, there is no downside to running your pump 24/7. But, as Marty points out, there is no reason to run the pump just to try and meet some mythical turn over number...

I run my pump 24/7 at 1200 RPM most of the time.. Total cost is less than $20 bucks a month. I love the fact that I am making a little chlorine all the time and at the same time skimming my pool.

Pump speed is really more about what you are trying to do. As an example, if I wanted to run my waterfall 24/7, I would have to increase my pump's speed to 2800 RPM, etc...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Mrs.Biggs
Read the link below -- turnover is a myth.

Thanks I am aware of this, I just wanted a benchmark to work from...currently the pump is on 750 rpm 24 hours per day. Its about 15 - 20k gallons...the location is the Caribbean with sun for about 13 hours.

Once you go below about 1000 rpm, the VS pump actually becomes less efficient.

Without a signature showing pool type, volume, equipment, etc, it is difficult to give more targeted guidance.

Q,

You can run your pump for as long as you want.. Other than electrical costs, there is no downside to running your pump 24/7. But, as Marty points out, there is no reason to run the pump just to try and meet some mythical turn over number...

I run my pump 24/7 at 1200 RPM most of the time.. Total cost is less than $20 bucks a month. I love the fact that I am making a little chlorine all the time and at the same time skimming my pool.

Pump speed is really more about what you are trying to do. As an example, if I wanted to run my waterfall 24/7, I would have to increase my pump's speed to 2800 RPM, etc...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks I am aware and don't want to burn current unnecessarily, however wanted the pump electricity consumption to be as economic as possible and running it for 24 hours per day (where rpm obviously will then be lower and thus consumption minimized). I just wanted a benchmark to work from...currently the pump is on 750 rpm 24 hours per day. Its about 15 - 20k gallons...the location is the Caribbean with sun for about 13 hours. Electricity here is quite a bit more than in the USA. I am not sure if I should increase this to a higher rpm to make cleaning easier.

Once you go below about 1000 rpm, the VS pump actually becomes less efficient.

Without a signature showing pool type, volume, equipment, etc, it is difficult to give more targeted guidance.

Thanks a lot again, appreciate your help. I am currently using the Autopilot DIG 220, Pentair Intelliflo 011018, Sta Rite PLM 200. I have attached an image of the pool showing the kind I have, will message exact gallons as soon as I measure however it should be around 15,000 without the plunge pool which should be another 2 - 3k. If you do not mind kindly let me know how to edit the signature.

Attachments

• Grand_Pool04.jpg
    Grand_Pool04.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Grand_Pool05.jpg
    Grand_Pool05.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 70
  • Grand_Pool06.JPG
    Grand_Pool06.JPG
    573.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Grand_Pool10.JPG
    Grand_Pool10.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 69
  • Grand_Pool15.jpg
    Grand_Pool15.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 67
signature

Can you set the pool to not have that overflow? Your pH will be a continual struggle with that much aeration.

This a SWCG pool. What cell do you have? The Autopilot DIG 220 is the power supply. It powers various cell sizes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, yes it is a SWCG pool. The overflow is actually currently turned off due to the fact that it is dry season and it is a bit easier managing without it. We usually add it when we have a lot of water, and when doing photo shoots, or if there are picky guests with kids. The cell is RC-42.

I would suspect the SWCG unit should warn if the flow rate is too low. Look for a light, readout, something.

I assume you do not have a proper test kit? A strip is as good as guessing.

Thanks, yes I only have the strip. Can you recommend a test kit? Regarding a warning light, even when running at 750 rpm, there was no indication that there was a problem. Hence, I assumed only be checking the chlorine production or levels.

Order a TF-100
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the Speedstir. It makes testing much easier.

That seems very technical. Is there anything else you would suggest? Again there are no flow issues. I am just trying to figure out how to run it. Currently I have it on 850 rpm for 24 hours. Thanks

The test kit is not technical. It is very straightforward and easy to use. There are extensive testing documents and YouTube videos, if needed.

Good luck.

You need to run the pump at a high enough rate to close the SWCG flow switch and long enough to generate the chlorine you need each day.

After that, the pump run time is up to you. For skimming, clarity, or just because you want to.

Reactions: SupplyChiefSM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.