pooldv texas pool thread

Re: pooldv pool thread

Thanks - appreciate the info and feedback. I feel like I need to recover some of the sun hitting my roof to make up for the sun that my tree is blocking. It's too late for this year, mainly for the budget, so I'll read back through your thread and I know there are other solar threads and options. Maybe plan for something later this year or over the winter. Just wanted to see what you thought about it compared to the heat pump. I like the free solar as well, plus I'd have to pull more power I believe to run a heat pump and want to avoid that. Thanks again.

That's another plus with the smaller heat pump. Mine only needs a 20a breaker and draws 12 amps, max. We bought the solar cover in spring 2016 and the pool heated up quickly after installing it. So much that I didn't even install the heat pump. It sat around until Sept 29th.

Just noticed your pool is 11k gal. It will be quite a bit easier to heat a smaller pool. Around 50% of the pool SF should do it on the solar side. We have 240sf of panels and 700sf of pool. And the pool only gets full sun for about 2 hours.

Thanks again. I've never measured exactly - I'm supposed to be about 15 by 30, 5.5 at the deepest, and of that 30, about 7 of it is a tanning ledge. I need to do some better measuring. Start some research now - I'll be ready by winter.

I decided to post a discussion about pump speeds, skimming, heating and cooling in this thread for future reference.

My speeds for the 011018, Intelliflo, 3hp variable speed pump are as follows.

I started at 900 rpm and got flow errors on my SWG. I tried 1000 rpm and got an occasional flow error if the filter was dirty. So, I ended up at 1100 rpm, no flow errors in 5ish years. Then I worked on the eyeballs to get good skimming. I ended up reversing the flow to counterclockwise with the eyeballs pointing pretty much parallel to the water surface. So, at 1100 rpm I get good skimming, can make chlorine and be on standby for solar heat. The pump uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. At 10.25c/kWh I can run 24x7 for less than 12 bucks per month.

For solar I started at 1800 rpm on a hot day. First is to make sure the flow can close the VRV, vacuum release valve, which it did. Then feel the solar panels to see if they are hot. And feel the water from the returns to see if it is hot. I went up 50 rpm until the panels felt fairly cool to the touch and the water in the returns didn't feel too hot. I ended up at 1950 rpm and it uses 550 watts.

For the waterfall we usually put it on the 1950 rpm speed, if it isn't already because solar is on and then adjust the water flow with the 3way valve that splits water flow between waterfall and returns.

Since we added the heat pump last fall I wanted a little more flow than the 1100 rpm to make sure I get as much heat from it as possible. So, I run the pump at 1500 rpm when running the heat pump is on. I do this manually by setting the pump timer to turn on at 1500 rpm at 8a and off at 10p. Not running the pump at night cuts down a little on overnight heat loss. Then the heat pump timer is set to run from 10a to 8p or to 85 degrees. I chose 1500 rpm for no particular reason. I need to check the inlet and outlet temps, Hayward recommends adjusting flow so you see a 2°c temp rise.

Then the 4th speed we use is 2500 rpm which is used for extra skimming and/or bottom drain suction when cleaning up a messy pool after a storm or something.

Max speed and priming speed is set to 3000 rpm, although I'm thinking about lowering that to 2500 also.

This set up has worked great since the summer of 2012, except for the heat pump which I installed in September, 2016.

A few more notes on solar.
Since I started running the pump at 1500 rpm when the heat pump is on then when solar turns on the Solartouch ramps the pump to 1950 rpm and when it turns off it reverts back to whatever speed it was on, either 1100 rpm or 1500 rpm. I noticed that when solar shuts off and reverts to 1500 rpm the pinhole in the solar valve cannot open to drain the panels, they do drain at 1100 rpm. Leaving the water in the panels to get HOT. My heat pump is plumbed after the solar panels so now I can see the temp of the water exiting the solar panels. Typically, when solar is on the exiting water temp is 1 to 2 degrees warmer. But, there are a few times when spots of shade from the tree hit the solar temp sensor and shut off solar throughout the day and if the pump is on 1500 rpm then the panels don't drain. I was observing this recently when solar turned back on and the exiting water temp was 102 for a few minutes. This was after solar was off for less than 30 minutes so it could get a lot worse if it was off for longer. I need to check my heat pump entering and leaving water temps to see if it can run at a lower rpm that will allow the solar panels to drain when solar shuts off.

A few notes on the SWG
My SWG is wired to its own timer, Intermatic time clock. I run the SWG well inside the run window for my pump. If my pump is set to run 8a to 10p then I'll set the SWG to run from something like 10a to 8p and adjust the percentage and/or the SWG run time to dial in the correct FC level. It is important to sync up the times regularly because the Intermatic timer will lose the time that it is off from a power outage and the pump will retain the time during a power outage. So, if the power is off for 15 minutes the times will have a 15 minute time difference when the power is restored. We don't have many power outages that last a long so my timers don't get very far off normally.

Heat conservation
I run my pump 24x7 in spring and fall when the trees are busy. But to conserve heat I run the pump 8a to 10p when I'm trying to heat the pool because I lose more heat overnight if the pump is running water through cold plumbing and filter. Solar cover is mostly on 24x7 when we are heating the pool. Conversely, I run the pump at night from 10p to 10a during summer to shed heat. I also enable pool cooling on the Solartouch so it will turn on solar at night to cool the pool if needed. The heat pump also has a cooling option but the solar panels have always been able to cool the pool enough in the past.

I put the cover on and turned solar on in late February to start the long, slow process of heating up the gunite, ground and water. Once that is all heated up maintaining water temp is much easier.

Our preferred swim temps are 88 to 92 degrees, 86 is our lowest comfortable swim temp. Solar is set to heat to 93 and cool to 91. This is the first spring using the heat pump so I'm still experimenting. Mostly, I set it to heat to 85 if we won't be swimming in the next few days and I move the start time back to noon to 8p to give solar more time to heat. If we will be swimming then I'll move the time to 10a to 8p and the temp to 86 or 87. Then a couple of days before, like Wednesday or Thursday, I'll look at the weather and the current pool temp and run the heat pump more if it will be cloudy or rainy or the water temp is lower, like 80ish. The heat pump can raise the water temp 1 degree in a little over 3 hours and solar can raise water temp by 2 degrees per hour on very sunny days and 1 degree every couple of hours on cloudier days or none ever if it is raining, windy or cold.

As the sun is getting hotter I'm struggling a little to let the solar panels do more heating for free without risking colder water when it is time to swim. I know, poor me. :)

you can get electricity cheaper than $0.1025
Depending on your usage its possible to get under $0.08

Only 20% but every bit helps

you can get electricity cheaper than $0.1025
Depending on your usage its possible to get under $0.08

Only 20% but every bit helps

Thanks for the tip but we are out in the boonies and are with a co-op. GCEC, who are amazing by the way. We've only had one power outage that lasted more than few minutes in 10 years and that was during an ice storm. They do a great job of keeping trees trimmed and away from the power lines and doing preventive maintenance. I know people complain about power companies trimming trees but they are wrong. Anyone who refuses to trim their own trees and then fights the power company on trimming them should be required to pay to restore service. That would stop the complaining. And of course the only folks who suffer are their neighbors who constantly lose power from their trees in the power lines.

Sorry, off soapbox. :)

Reactions: Tena

That DANG power company...always ruining my beautiful wild trees!! Obviously they hate mother nature and they can go stick their ........ oh, wait, wrong thread :gone:

After reading that wall of text about your heating/pumping schedules, here's my take-away - you need an automation panel!

Oh, and don't forget to get ScreenLogic, because.....because.....because......ummmmm......SCREENLOGIC!!!!

I saw DFW and assumed you were near civilization ... ;-)

LOL!! Yep, we are DFW-adjacent. :)

That DANG power company...always ruining my beautiful wild trees!! Obviously they hate mother nature and they can go stick their ........ oh, wait, wrong thread :gone:

After reading that wall of text about your heating/pumping schedules, here's my take-away - you need an automation panel!

Oh, and don't forget to get ScreenLogic, because.....because.....because......ummmmm......SCREENLOGIC!!!!

Yeah, lotta words! For some reason that just kept getting added too. Thanks for the tip, what version of screenlogic are you using?

Thanks for a great explanation of the ins and outs of running a well equipped pool! :)

I was going to start a "guess pooldv's next purchase" challenge, but JoyfulNoise beat me to it, lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Here is a side effect of having the solar cover on all the time. PH doesn't rise, it has stayed at 7.8 for weeks. So, my TA has crept up to 90 due to high-ish TA fill water and not adding any acid. So, my CSI crept up to 0.22 and when I took the solar cover off yesterday there were scale flakes on the bottom of the pool. I assume that they were put there from my SWG cell. Time to go lower my TA to 50 and get my CSI down to -0.23 for now. I also need to order some more boric acid from Duda, all my borates went down the hill!

Re: pooldv pool thread

I'm about to go jump in that!

full

dbtgallery.php

full

dbtgallery.php

Last edited:

Yup jealous. 50, raining and breezy here - and a soccer game.

Great thread filled with laughs and tons of info!

We are finally moving on our OB pool here in Phoenix. I have been thinking about solar to extend the swim season and your thread has convinced me to do it. I had heard about the ability for the panels to also provide cooling as well which I believe I will be interested in as well. I have experienced swimming in a neighbors pool in when it was 110+ and the water was nasty hot as well - yuck! How much of an impact do you think the solar panels will have if nighttime temps stay in the 90s? Does the COOL option on your heatpump have the same 3 degree effect on cooling?

The other thing I have been considering is a maybe a separate solar pool Pump - any thoughts or experience on with those?

Though if I did that then I couldn't use the pump at night to cool the pool.... sigh

Thanks! I haven't used the cool option on the heat pump because running the solar panels at night has always been enough. 93 is the magic number for us during summer. 93 is good 94 is too hot. We have lots 85 and hi 105 in August and solar cooling gets it done ok. I don't remember how many degrees we needed to cool or how hot the pool got. 96 or 97, I think?

No, I don't know anything about solar pool pumps. I'd stick with the intelliflo.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.