How long to run pump/filters a day? Ph and TA problems.

dooger54

Gold Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Tucson AZ
Is there any good rule of thumb on how long to run the filters a day? The default setting on mine is 8 hours a day, 4 hours in the morning from 10-2 and then again at 10pm-2am.

I realize it makes a difference how much the tub is used. Ours gets used maybe once a day, one person for 30minutes. Some days we do not use it at all.

I find that my Ph level is hard to control. I test every morning and it is almost always at 8.0 or slightly above. I then add acid to get it down to around 7.2-7.4, but by the next morning it’s back up again.

My TA is always low too. Usually about 30-40, I add enough soda to get it up to around 50. By the next morning it’s down to 30 again.

Maybe the pump/jets running 8 hours a day (constant aeration) is causing problems?

d,

Each pool is a little different... You generally run a pump for three reasons:

1. To keep surface debris moving and being pushed into the skimmers. The more debris the more often you need to run the pump.

2. If you have a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) you'll need to run it long enough to generate the amount of chlorine needed.

3. To circulate the water to ensure the chlorine is effectively distributed throughout the pool. Two or three hours per day is all that is needed for this to happen in most pools.

There really is no one answer that fits everyone.

As far as pH goes, it seems like you are in a dog-chases-tail scenario.. Most Saltwater pool like their pH to be about 7.8. By trying to keep your pH at 7.2, you are just making it worse. The further away from 7.8 you drive your pH, the harder the pH will try to get back to 7.8... For example.. my pool will stay at 7.2 for about a micro-second, while it will stay at 7.6 a lot longer and 7.8 for a week or more..

Aeration is one of the prime forces that cause your pH to go up. If you are running your waterfall and spa spillover all the time it is no wonder that you are having pH issues. I suggest that you only turn them on when you want to impress your visitors... :p

Oh.. I'd also adjust your TA to about 80 and then just focus on doing small adjustments on your pH. Let your TA find its own resting spot, as long as it is more than 50...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

I run my filter cycle for two, two hour cycles per day. It's been like that for years. I think the energy consumed by running the pumps ends up being heat (that's needed anyway), so I'm not sure there's any benefit shortening the run time.

On my tub I do not test for alkalinity. I only add acid/buffer when PH is lower/higher than I like. I do test for ph quite frequently.

The reason tub sellers call for higher alk than what is realistic, is because they want you to use acidic forms of sanitizer. Dichlore, bromine, mps. These all cause ph to drop over time, and people can't test for ph accurately with those stupid paper dip strips that cost ten times as much as the alternative, and therefor end up with acidic water that dissolves the heater unit, witch they then have to replace under warranty. So they tell you to keep alk at 80-100. ph wont drop for a long time that way, cause it wants to way up in the 8s as soon as the water gets aerated from the air jets.

The important thing to watch is PH. Too low dissolves your heater. Too high can cause calcium deposits on your heater that cause it to overheat and burn up (pumps too).

It's not the "TFP method" to ignore alk readings in a hot tub, but I have no idea why they are needed.

My TA is always low too. Usually about 30-40, I add enough soda to get it up to around 50. By the next morning it’s down to 30 again.

stop adding buffer to the water, and the ph will stop rising.

if you have hard water, you import buffer with your makeup water lost to evaporation.

bleach is also buffered, and causes a gradual increase in ph that will accumulate enough to need correction after a week or three of daily use.

I’m certainly not having problems with low Ph. Testing everyday for now to get tub in balance. Every morning Ph is 8.0 or higher and I add acid every time to try and get it done to 7.4 or so.

What is the TA of your fill water? When did you last drain/fill the spa? here's a link to a TFP article on how to use bromine in a spa:How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

Good Luck!

What is the TA of your fill water? When did you last drain/fill the spa? here's a link to a TFP article on how to use bromine in a spa:How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

Good Luck!

Last drain and fill just two weeks ago, so fresh water. I have read and printed out that sticky already.

Tap water numbers -

TA-100
Ch-180
Ph-8.0+

Just checked spa water -

TA-40
Ch-190
Ph-7.8

I did change my settings for filter time yesterday. Changed from 8 to 4 hours per day. Seems like my Ph rise was less. Every other day my Ph has been over 8.0.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.