How long to run my filter?

Rskpool

May 24, 2020
Sterling Heights, MI
I've read the pool school post, and a dozen other articles on the web. I've heard mix opinions of turnover and I'd like to please get another opinion from the experts here.

I think I have all my chemicals at a good level, pool looks great, and is running well. Pool description in the signature. The calculators say 37500 gallons, 1.5 hp pump, 2 inch pvc, 4 returns, 1 simmer, 1 main drain, sand filter, no salt water.

Thanks!

You're just going to have to experiment.
Is it a variable speed? You just need enough high speed to skim. 30 minutes, an hour, whatever it takes. The rest of the time can be at the lowest speed.

Is it a single speed? Start by reducing it to 6 hours a day. Already less than 6? Cut it another hour.

It just depends on usage and how much stuff gets blown or tracked into the pool. My pool stays pretty clean so I can get by with two hours a day plus some extra when I'm vacuuming.

You're just going to have to experiment.
Is it a variable speed? You just need enough high speed to skim. 30 minutes, an hour, whatever it takes. The rest of the time can be at the lowest speed.

Is it a single speed? Start by reducing it to 6 hours a day. Already less than 6? Cut it another hour.

It just depends on usage and how much stuff gets blown or tracked into the pool. My pool stays pretty clean so I can get by with two hours a day plus some extra when I'm vacuuming.

It's single speed and generally doesn't get very dirty outside of storm/rains - or when some trees around drop their peddles, cottonwood, etc. I usually run it 4-8 hours a day depending on how many people are swimming, surface stuff like I mentioned, etc.

Thanks for the tips.

Rsk,

We don't believe in the myth that if you don't turnover your pool water X times a day you will get algae.. We say this because chemicals keep your pool sanitized and clear, not the number of times water passes through your filter..

The filter is designed to capture all the junk that falls into your pool.. It is not there to capture algae.. There is no doubt that if you let your chemicals get away from you, and you do get algae, that the filter will capture it.. But, it will not prevent you from getting algae, and it won't make algae go away..

Forget about turnovers and focus on running the pump long enough to skim your pool the way you like, and generating the chlorine you need, if you have a SWCG or use a tab feeder.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rsk,

We don't believe in the myth that if you don't turnover your pool water X times a day you will get algae.. We say this because chemicals keep your pool sanitized and clear, not the number of times water passes through your filter..

The filter is designed to capture all the junk that falls into your pool.. It is not there to capture algae.. There is no doubt that if you let your chemicals get away from you, and you do get algae, that the filter will capture it.. But, it will not prevent you from getting algae, and it won't make algae go away..

Forget about turnovers and focus on running the pump long enough to skim your pool the way you like, and generating the chlorine you need, if you have a SWCG or use a tab feeder.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you sir. So if I keep tye solar cover on most of the day how long do you think I would need to run it to ONLY mix the chemicals, if the cover is on?

Also any tips for stopping my solar cover from dumping all the debris in the pool everytime I roll with my roller?

Rsk,

I did not know that you had a solar cover.. In that case, if skimming is not an issue, I would run 3 hours a day and anytime you added chemicals..

I do not have a solar, because I just do not have the patience to put it on and take it off.. You are a better person than I am.. :mrgreen:

Keep in mind that pools have to breath... otherwise the CC's build up, so don't go for too many days without opening the cover for a little while.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rsk,

I did not know that you had a solar cover.. In that case, if skimming is not an issue, I would run 3 hours a day and anytime you added chemicals..

I do not have a solar, because I just do not have the patience to put it on and take it off.. You are a better person than I am.. :mrgreen:

Keep in mind that pools have to breath... otherwise the CC's build up, so don't go for too many days without opening the cover for a little while.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.