How long is the average life of a vinyl liner?

adl6009

Mar 19, 2015
Long Island, NY
Over this winter I lost about 1/2 the water from the pool. Right now the water level is just above the light. I couldn't see any obvious cause, but it was hard with the safety cover only partially removed. My first liner lasted 20 years, this one is about 10 years old. Just wondering.

Last edited:
If the leak stopped just above the light that is most likely where your leak is located. Check corners and seams around that height for leaks, also check around the light itself. Use leak detection dye to check for leaks. Liner may be fine. Honestly its hard to tell without seeing and touching it. Low pH levels can shorten the life of a liner, as can UV exposure.

Liner lifespan depends big time on conditions and care. That said, the liner I just replaced last summer was 13 years old and was completely neglected for 6 of those years...and I mean pool uncovered and untouched year round for six years kind of neglect.

I was quoted $3500 for liner replacement on my 14x28 pool a couple years back before I decided to completely renovate the pool...that quote was from the most highly recommended guy in the area though, so not a cheap option by any stretch, and it was for a Merlin 27mil "premium" liner too.

IMO if it’s a puck pool and new liner you will be lucky to get 10 years, reason being puck pools are almost always acidic which causes liners to get brittle prematurely.

SWG pools I am seeing 12-15 years, because they tend to run over Ph of 8 a lot.

I was quoted $3500 for liner replacement on my 14x28 pool a couple years back before I decided to completely renovate the pool...that quote was from the most highly recommended guy in the area though, so not a cheap option by any stretch, and it was for a Merlin 27mil "premium" liner too.

What did you do to completely renovate the pool?

What did you do to completely renovate the pool?

Essentially we built a new pool. It was a 14x28 grecian, 5.5ft deep end. We completely removed the steps and step-side walls and expanded out in a lazy-L shape, adding 14ft to the length of the pool. Dug out the deep end to 8ft, added a skimmer and return, added lighting, and all new equipment. Also fixed a giga-ton of terrible concrete work along the way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Essentially we built a new pool. It was a 14x28 grecian, 5.5ft deep end. We completely removed the steps and step-side walls and expanded out in a lazy-L shape, adding 14ft to the length of the pool. Dug out the deep end to 8ft, added a skimmer and return, added lighting, and all new equipment. Also fixed a giga-ton of terrible concrete work along the way.
nice! How was the price, compared to starting with level ground and building a pool where there wasn't one before?

nice! How was the price, compared to starting with level ground and building a pool where there wasn't one before?

Roughly half. And it would actually have been a lot better than that if not for the need to remove 6-10ft of poorly laid concrete all the way around the pool. Stuff was 8" thick in spots. Concrete is a funny thing - done right it's awesome, but done wrong you can end up with an 8" thick slab that weighs as much as a planet yet is about as strong as a half inch thick sheet of ice.

Reactions: Joshii
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.