How long does it take to heat your spa?

Sjde

Apr 29, 2016
Denver CO
Pool Size
I can’t find my post from last week when I said my spa only heated up 2-3 degrees an hour and was told it shouldn’t take that long. It was suggested I post photos to see if it was wired correctly. So here they are. We used a certified electrician.

Attachments

• E44F9225-36FD-4A18-9B89-18D04B0D476B.jpeg
    E44F9225-36FD-4A18-9B89-18D04B0D476B.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 67D02ACD-7C94-4DFE-A8A9-D9DB91BA1058.jpeg
    67D02ACD-7C94-4DFE-A8A9-D9DB91BA1058.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 33
for a stand alone hot tub that is good to heat up that fast.. I think someone was thinking you had a gas inground spa and they will heat much faster..

Reactions: Sjde
I have never timed mine after I change the water...but I am guessing it is probably 2-3 degrees per hour. I time my drain/refill in the evening where it can heat all night long and be ready to use the next day.

Like CowboyCasey pointed out...I think people were thinking that you have a built in spa with gas fired heater. The stand alone spa's take a little while to come to operating temp...but since you leave them on that is not an issue.

Sjde,

Why do you ask? I assume that you leave your spa running 24/7 and don't just heat it when you want to use it???

If you leave it on long enough does it get up to max temperature??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes but this is at a vacation rental where guests check out at 10 am and new guests arrive at 4:00. It would be nice if they had the use of it that night. Sometimes it’s only a 2 nt stay. Others have said theirs takes 8 hours (which is what salesman had told us) , but ours can be twice as long.

Yes but this is at a vacation rental where guests check out at 10 am and new guests arrive at 4:00. It would be nice if they had the use of it that night. Sometimes it’s only a 2 nt stay. Others have said theirs takes 8 hours (which is what salesman had told us) , but ours can be twice as long.

There are several factors that influence the rate at which a hot tub heats up.

- Air Temp
- Starting Water Temp
- Hot Tub volume
- Voltage 110 vs 220
- Covered or uncovered

I still believe that 3 degrees per hour is average. I get the impression that you are turning it off and on between guests? Are you draining and refilling between guests? You are most likely burning more electricity heating it from ambient temperature to 100 than if you would just leave it on and let it maintain. They are just not meant to be turned on when you want to use them. I just got my hot tub last fall and I don't ever turn it off, I think it raised my monthly electric bill about $10 per month. I keep it covered with the cover that came with it and it does not run that much in a 24 hour period to maintain 102.

So you are emptying it every time a customer leaves? It also depends on the fill water temp...

What size heater is that?

There are a couple options I can think of..

1. If it is not a 5.5/6KW find out from Balboa if you can change it to a 6kw
2. add another 6 KW system, this will suck some power and will require another 60 amp circuit installed as well...
3. Wood stove or 11kw electric package would heat it fast :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
something is wrong if it is not drained and covered and it will not stay at 104 degrees.. Mine would only drop to 102 when the top was open and the wind chill was minus 20 degrees... Within an hour it was back to 104..

Is it a 110v or 220v?

Another thing is it may be set to "economy" mode. When it's on that setting, I believe it only heats when it is on the filter cycle. Which means it will only heat every twelve hours for two hours, or as long as it takes to get up to temp and then the heater will turn off. If that's the case, you may want to change the setting and have it always stay at a set temp.

It maintains heat fine during normal operation -it’s just on a drain and fill that it seems to heat up very slowly.

I believe it is working correctly if it maintains heat during normal operation. When you start from scratch with 55-60 degree water...it's going to take a while to get back up above 100. I would try to plan the drain/refill when you don't have guest that evening and it will have a chance to get back up to temp overnight.

We have 375 gallons and in winter the water coming in can be 40-45 degrees (maybe 60 in summer). We try to drain and fill when we don't have people coming in the same day others leave, but sometimes it can't be helped. I called the manufacturer (Caldera by Watkins) and they told me the rule of thumb is 1 degree an hour heating up! I found out ours is a flow through type heater, 60 hertz and 600 watts.

I can’t find my post from last week when I said my spa only heated up 2-3 degrees an hour and was told it shouldn’t take that long. It was suggested I post photos to see if it was wired correctly. So here they are. We used a certified electrician.
That's because you posted it on a different forum. I've been waiting for the pics, but I need to see the wiring connections at the breaker too. You will have to remove the faceplate, there is usually a screw at the bottom. Turn off the main breaker in the house before removing.
For the record, a 5.5kw heater wired at 240v will heat the average spa (350 gallons or so) 8-10 degrees per hour. The same heater wired at 120v will heat 1/4 as fast, so 2-3. Ambient air can play a small role on a poorly insulated or uncovered spa, especially if the air controls are open.
So a 4kw heater should heat about 6-8 degrees per hour at 240v. If yours is not then there is an issue.
That system could turn off the heater if the jets are on high, depending on settings, and may also run the jets on high speed if the water is too cold. I have never seen a Caldera with that board or heater, or one that uses a single circuit (they are usually 2 breakers as a hot springs). But I never see the new ones. Post a picture of the wiring diagram and equipment area so I can see what's what.
If the filter is clogged or it has some other flow restriction it could cause heater cycling, which will greatly increase heating time on any brand.

called the manufacturer (Caldera by Watkins) and they told me the rule of thumb is 1 degree an hour heating up! I found out ours is a flow through type heater, 60 hertz and 600 watts.
That is a 4kw (at 240v) heater. It's printed on the side. You should feel the temperature difference at the return jet. At 120v, it is 1kw. So, unless it's designed for 120v to the heater, which I doubt, there is another issue.
I will ask the Watkins guy on that other forum about the heating on a new(ish) Caldera. As I said, that's not the typical setup I am used to seeing on a Watkins. Maybe they did set it up for 120v. It seems like a bad idea to me, but they usually don't ask me before implementing bad ideas... ;)

Reactions: cowboycasey
Q=cp * d * V * (Tf - Ti)

joules of heat transferred = isobaric specific heat capacity measured in joules per gram Kelvin difference * density measured in grams per cubic metre * volume in litres * (final temp - initial temp in centigrade)

isobaric specific heat capacity of water = 4.18 joules per gram Kelvin difference
density of water = 1 gram per cubic meter

For my 1643L spa, with incoming water temp of 6.5C, target temperature of 38C, this is 215,149 joules of heat transferred = 215.149 megajoules, divide by 3.6 for kWh = 59.764kWh.

For a 4kW heater, divide by 4 = 14.941 hours to transfer that heat assuming zero heat loss through cover/sides/plumbing. So consider your resulting number the absolute minimum amount of time to heat. At $0.22/kWh, electricity cost is $12.97, and at $1.58/cubic metre of water, water cost is $2.60.

Reactions: RDspaguy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.