How long does a pool filter valve usually last?

TomAtlanta

Sep 10, 2011
Atlanta Ga
Water is moving through my system, but it is not filtering. Pool is still cloudy 24 hours after I brushed. Usually it is crystal clear in 24 hours. Does that mean the pool filter valve is probably not working? Mine is 9 years old. Should I just replace it, or is there some test I should do first?

My valve is a Hayward multiport, on a sand filter.

If the valve isn't leaking, not sure why it would cause your pool to be cloudy? I personally do not use a sand filter, but I have read a lot about channeling of of the sand. Is it possible the sand or the filter itself needs a little maintenance? Also, wouldn't it be cheaper to replace the gasket in the valve over a complete replacement? Last, are you getting sand thrown back into the pool by the filter, or is just dust from the outside?

My guess it is the paint just breaking down. Years ago I remember my brothers pool was doing the same thing in a new house he moved into. The pool was super cloudy. Worst part was, once he cleaned up the water to where he could see the bottom, he noticed all the black wheel marks from the skateboards that were using the emptied pool as a skate park. New plaster was the only fix....

The paint has been breaking down for years. Every time I brush the water gets cloudy, but I run the filter for 24 hours and it is clear. This is different. I've been running the filter for 48 hours now and it is not clearing at all.

The reason I thought it might be the valve rather than the sand is that this happened so suddenly. A few days before I brushed I noticed the water was getting a little cloudy even though I was running the filter more than usual. Just a week earlier the water had been crystal clear. If it was a sand problem I would think it would have happened more gradually.

If somehow the valve is running the water through the recirculate cycle even though I have it set on the filter cycle, that could explain it. I don't know enough about the internal structure of the valve to know if this is likely or even possible. I wish I knew some way to know if the water is actually flowing through the sand.

I can't do a deep clean of the sand filter because the drain is broken and sealed in place. I just did several long backwashes. I did a backwash for 2 min, rinse 45 second, backwash 2 minutes, rinse 45 second, backwash 2 minutes, rinse 45 seconds. I'll see if that helped and report back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.