CC. 1.5
TC. 27.5
PH. 8.2
TA 40
CH. 0
CYA. 40
Salt. 2700. Have not added any salt yet this season. Generator turned off
Temp. 68

I have not added bleach today yet. I was getting ready to do so to bring it to about 30. I swept yesterday but did not vacuum yesterday. My plan was to vac to waste. I'm just getting pretty discouraged here. This is 15 days of green....also the ph was at 7.6 before I started SLAM.

There is no point to vac to waste since you do not report any solids that could be vacuumed.

Your CC of 1.5 indicates you still have organics in your pool that the chlorine needs to kill....in other words, I can think of no alternative but to continue the SLAM.

The FC/CYA chart in Pool School indicates a SLAM value of 16 ppm FC is appropriate for a CYA of 40 ppm. I am not sure why you are running FC so high?

If you believe the green could be coming from metals, you could perform an OCLT (read how in Pool School) that would confirm the presence or absence of organics in your pool but I think you have organics which, again, means you have to continue the SLAM

I wonder about the sand with you seeing all of the green chunks in the viewing window. Can you open your filter and see what the sand looks like? Just shooting in the dark with all the time/bleach/effort you have gone through.

HUGS!

Kim

Ok, I went to pool store and they saidi have zero metals. No iron,no copper. The results from them are as follows
FC 20
Cc.0
Ph 7.9
TA 50
Ch 22
Cya 23
Saturation index -0.9. Corrosive
Salt. 2300

They said I needed to add 25 lbs calcium and 15 lbs of alkalinity up. And of course shock with the stuff they sell because household bleach won't work.
As for taking apart the filter...that is next to impossible unless we cut the PVC. It was glued in instead of being screwed in with the correct fitting. Hubby said if we have to he will do it but doesn't want to until we close the pool in the fall. If that's my only hope I'll get it done though.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as OCLT I basically do that anyway with testing in the evening to add and testing in the am to add.. I lost 2 on the chlorine last night. I bought the FC up based on the post a few back that suggested that I do for a few days to see if that helped.

I haven't let up on it for 15 days. Hubby going to buy 200 lbs of sand and new fittings and we are going to take apart the filter. So do I need to add calcium or not. He can get that too while he's out. Also do I need to worry about TA right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what is saturation index, corrosive.?

I haven't let up on it for 15 days. Hubby going to buy 200 lbs of sand and new fittings and we are going to take apart the filter. So do I need to add calcium or not. He can get that too while he's out. Also do I need to worry about TA right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Also what is saturation index, corrosive.?
No, you don't need Calcium for your vinyl pool. You don't need to worry about TA until after the pool is all clear.

Corrosive CSI mean that if you have a plaster pool, you'll start softening and pitting the surface. You have vinyl, so that will never happen.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So we have decided not to replace the sand but rather go ahead and replace the fittings so that we can remove the cover on the filter and deep clean the sand. I'll let you know this afternoon how that came out. Ty for offering suggestions.

Good move.

- - - Updated - - -

So I do not need to add bleach at 26 Just let it keep running....correct?

Right. Try to maintain about 20FC for your SLAM level.

I wonder if the filter is so dirty it's impeding this slam? When was the last time it was opened? How long has the pool been green?

The pool was green on opening 2 weeks ago. It was beautiful last year.Hubby has gone to get plumbing so that we can remove the filter cover and clean the sand. I am really in need of POP and maybe a Margarita, or two! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

I saw some stuff at the local WalMart that said "Algae Eliminator"...is that anything I should try???

Definitely don't do the algae eliminator! Not necessary and won't do anything. Some algaecides add metals to the water too which you definitely want to avoid. Even the "good" kind is more for preventing algae than dealing with it once it's there.

Chlorine will do the trick and keeping it at the right levels after it's clear will be all the preventative you need.

Now for the pic.... yes! It's definitely looks lighter to me! A color change if ever I saw one... ;-)

POP is the hardest thing!

No please do not buy anything other than bleach right now.

When my pump was put together I did not even think about being able to open it. My builder did it just like yours is done-NO way to open it! My husband has cut the pipe and put in connectors.

Be VERY careful with your deep clean of the sand. I ended up moving so much sand with the hose I had to take it all out to reset my filter laterals! But to tell you the truth it was a good thing because they were full of the little bugs we get in the pool all of the time.

Your water does look lighter in this last pic. That is why pics are so nice. You can put the side by side and see the work you have done!

Kim

Cloudy is good for working chlorine though...so that's good at least.

Well to my eyes in comparison with the last pics you posted I see it's still green but starting to show that milky color that usually comes before the change to bluer colors!

I bet the filter will be really gross. lol yay for pics! I'm sure it will benefit from the deep cleaning.

If margaritas help then I say, go for it!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Thanks Kim...I will be careful but am concerned about it..if I do have to replace the sand how do I get the lod sand out to do that? Its not like I can just tip it over or anything, its extremely heavy as we all know. It will also be full of water , do I just start scooping it out with something? I'm a little confused on that part. Hopefully I don't have to do that though.My hubby has neither the strength nor the fortitude to help me with much of it although he is going to add a connector so that I can take off the top of the filter. He needs a heart transplant so reallyt can't deal with a l;ot , especially anything requiring physical stamina. I can do it though, just want to be sure I know how. I did read the post on deep cleaning the filter but saw nothing on how to take all the sand out if I need too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.