How long do each of the different reagents last?

Apr 24, 2018
King George, Va
This is a probably a silly question but I did a search and didn't see a definitive answer.

I've bought a Taylor refill kit from TFT each year, so I'm good, but I'm curious that some of the bottles in TFT kit have expiration dates, and some do not? When I first got my Taylor kit every reagent bottle had an expiration date on it, but none were labelled to last into the next season. Now since I don't know much about reagents other than how to use them, with the refills from TFT, does no expiration date mean you have to replace them every year, or does it mean they don't expire like the bottles with the expiration dates do? It's not a particularly big deal since its only $50, but I do have several bottles (like CYA, TA, and PH) with remaining reagents left over from last years purchase and it seems silly to just stop using them if they're still good. So how long do they last? Or should I just expect to buy a complete refill kit each year? Thanks

The link provided in the previous post was the information I was looking for.. Thanks ajw22...

But I'm officially now confused about my TA reading.. I have 3 sets of reagents for testing TA, R07, R08, R09.. A set from 2018 that say they expired 03/20. I have a refill set from last year from TFT, and I have a TFT refill set brand new for this year. Neither TFT set have an expiration date on the bottles. If it matters, my test kit(s) live in the laundry room at house temperature in a dark cupboard.

I've repeated the test several times, using the reagents straight from their source bottles always getting the same results, so I'm pretty sure it's not user error at this point. Water temp was always 70-74 degrees. According to the newest reagents my TA is 170. According to BOTH the two previous sets of reagents from 2018 and 2019 my TA is 70. Which should I trust?

Anything I can test, or do to tell if the new reagents are amiss? R08 looks the same for each of the years, so there's nothing visibly different between the kits. All of my other readings are good.

FC = 6
CC = 0
Ph = 7.6
TA = either 70 or 170
Ch = 275
CYA = 70
Salt = 3000
temp = 73
CSI = -0.44 (from poolmath)

Some static electricity affecting drop size on the R-0009 is a common problem with new test kits causing TA to read high. See the notes in the extended test directions...

• Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop.
  • Hold the dropper bottles vertically and squeeze gently, so that drops come out slowly and seem to hang on the tip of the dropper bottle for a moment before falling.

To answer your "how long will they last" question, Taylor Technologies suggests to replace them yearly. Experience has taught us that they can last a couple of years easily if they are stored properly. My advice would be to order the refill kit bi-annually from here on and toss out ANY old ones when your new comes in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.