How long can you keep the plaster exposed in 80 deg weather?

norcalpool1

Silver Supporter
Sep 16, 2017
Silicon Valley,CA
How long can you have the plaster (specifically the upper two or three inches) of an outdoor pool exposed to the sun at 80 degrees (most of the summer in the bay area, CA, USA). Am I right that exposing plaster to air is also as much a problem as exposing it to the sun?

Are you asking about new plaster or old plaster?

How long do you need to leave it exposed for?

I'm in north jersey. I had my plaster exposed all summer and its still good except for a few spots where the plaster lifted because of expansion of the plaster, but I feel they didnt texture the concrete surface properly in those spots and replastered those areas myself. Lightly tap on the area and see if it sounds hollow or solid.

The white plaster is 2 years old. I don't _need_ to but when I go on vacation if the water level drops accidentally in summer, how long is safe (relatively) for the plaster?

A few weeks of exposure will not damage older plaster in your environment.

However I would worry more about your pump if the water level falls below the bottom of the skimmer and exposes plaster. Do you have a main drain that can feed the pump without the skimmers?

>> Do you have a main drain that can feed the pump without the skimmers?
However I would worry more about your pump if the water level falls below the bottom of the skimmer and exposes plaster. Do you have a main drain that can feed the pump without the skimmers?

Yes. There is a main drain that is connected to the same skimmer on the pool deck. If I place the skimmer basket (plastic, on the pool deck) in a specific position, there is free water flow from the pump and the main drain (as well as free water flow from the top of the pool.

Overall, I am relieved to hear there is usually no damage to the pool walls over a few weeks though I don't expect the pool to be out of manual care for over two weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.