New Orleans
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
We all know, or you should know, that liquid chlorine degrades pretty quickly over time. It also degrades being stored in the heat. I live in the Deep South, have a 15.8k gal pool, and use Taylor dpd kit every day other than winter.

The only 12.5% LC I could get locally was $4.00/gal two years ago, $5.00/gal last year (I think partially or largely due to the big chlorine plant fire in Lake Charles after Hurricane Delta), $6.00/gal at the start of this year, 2022, and now it is $7.00/gal. Not an insignificant increase. It’s near double the cost to maintain your chlorine levels.

Well, my local pool store’s stock this year, coming out of winter, was dated from September of last year: 2021. In addition, every time I bought a case, the top of the jugs were covered in black dirt, which is a strong clue about how and where it was improperly stored.

Every day, two quarts yielded me only 1 ppm increase in chlorine. The Pool Math app indicated I should be getting a 4 ppm increase. Finally, when they got new stock in May, the manufacture date indicated 60 days into 2022, so roughly end of February. All of a sudden, 2 quarts was yielding me exactly 3.5 ppm increase. So even though the price increase from the dirty stock went from $6.00/gal to $7.00/gal, I was saving a lot more money because the chlorine wasn’t lousy old bunk.

Liquid chlorine is a double edges sword. It is appealing because it is pure (without sanitizer) and supposedly more economical. The downside is the supply chain is now poor, it’s harder to get, it’s much more expensive than in the past, and buyer beware because nobody cares about it’s freshness, anywhere along the line, except you.

Which brings me to my next point. It’s like cutting the TV cable. I now feel it’s better for me to buy a SWG and not rely on industrial manufacturing, distributors, supply chain woes, doing business with shady local pool stores, etc. Liquid chlorine as a viable plan for chlorination, no longer is viable, in my opinion. Honestly I don’t think this is going to change back into the consumer’s favor, especially with the post pandemic supply chain issues, the limited chlorine production capability in the US to supply the pandemic-fueled pool construction boom, inflation, and the unknowns regarding the Russian invasion of the Ukraine that doesn’t seem likely to go away soon, and possible unforeseen supply chain disruptions, not directly related to that, but possibly affecting the cost of chlorine production. Not to mention, my local pool store people have attitudes, and really are bothered when I ask for their freshest stock. I am just tired of the stress of buying liquid chlorine.

But back to my original point: check the date! Freshness matters a lot, and freshness you may not get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oly
Get the SWCG. Now. Do it. I DARE you. I DOUBLE DOG DARE you.

Get It Juan Gabriel GIF

Yes, freshness matters. You hit the nail on the head.

A salt water chlorine generator is a wonderful thing.

Several years ago some of our experts ran a comparison of costs, liquid or SWCG. At that time is was a wash, pay me now or pay me later. With supply chain issues, the SWCG probably wins these days.

Reactions: geh and PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.