How important is the Clearray and Mineral Cartridge for sanitation and chemistry

mxfan

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
Shingle Springs, CA
I am re-familiarizing myself with the process of keeping the chemical levels correct in my Sundance spa. During the last water change I went ahead and purchased a new Clearray bulb (and cleaned the tube it sits in). The manual mentions changing the bulb once a year. I also change the Mineral Packet each water change, which would be about $ 200 year combined. I don't mind spending the money if it's deemed necessary or helpful with the chemistry and keeping the water sanitized and clear, but if not I would rather save the money.
I am using the dichlor/bleach method currently.
My hot tub does not have an ozonator.
Thanks.

I don't consider UV that important in a spa (though not entirely without benefit) and outright discourage the use of any mineral additions. Neither does much for the chemistry and only the UV does anything in regards to sanitation.

Reactions: mxfan
I am a fan of mineral purifiers. The metals inhibit cell division in single celled organisms (much like copper algaecide), so slow the rate of contaminant growth in the spa giving your sanitizer more time to deal with them before they multiply. They also kill some contaminants that are chlorine resistant. I use them in my own spa, and have for many many years.
UV is destructive to bacteria and protozoa and will kill any that go through it. It also burns off chlorine just like sunlight but at a much higher rate. It is used in conjunction with hydrogen peroxide in hospital and professional sports therapy pools, as well as stainless steel vessels such as Diamond Spas and Endless Pools.
Between the two, you should need very little sanitizer in your spa. Follow manufacturers recommendations.

I am a fan of mineral purifiers.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Well we aren't. Copper is junk, the worst possible way to prevent algae in a body of water you intend to use. Silver a bit less so, but only with specific systems and still can cause nearly impossible to remove staining. Metals are the last thing you want in recreational water. Every year there's post after post about staining, so many problems we help try to fix from people taking advice from so-called professionals.

As you have been told several times before, we do not recommend non-EPA approved care methods. UV and peroxide are NOT an approved sanitation method as it does not keep residual sanitizer in the water. UV is a supplemental sanitizer ONLY. It has benefits in a spa, which has a very high bather load due to its size, but it is not required and cannot be considered a primary sanitation method. With all the nasty things that can be in spa water, we would be crazy to recommend anything that doesn't involve keeping a residual sanitizer in the bulk water.

Last edited:
Ok. I guess hospitals and football teams use non approved methods. I stand by what I said. You can believe whatever you like. I do not have stains in my spa, nor did my customers who use mineral purifiers in their spas. I refuse to be bullied into believing what TFP says just because TFP says it. And I do not appreciate your condescending attitude. I have stated my experience truthfully. I have worked on these systems in medical facilities and the Rams and Blues locker rooms. Your assertions do not change that fact.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.