How does automatic pool cover affects water?

newpool3305

Apr 25, 2021
Bay Area, CA
Pool Size
Hello there,

My pool has an automatic pool cover and is covered most of the days. I open it for few hours on the day I am swimming/maintaining/cleaning. It helps to keep the leaves/debris from entering the pool (for the most part anyway).

I am wondering if it is a good practice to do so. Do you see any issues with filter running and water flowing with pool cover closed on most days? Is sunlight needed on a daily basis?

Appreciate your insights.

Same here; my cover stays closed unless it needs to be open. It really helps retain chlorine, so it's good for the chemistry. And it prevents evaporation. Some here feel the need to let their pool "breathe" periodically to blow off combined chloramines. My CC is always 0.0 - 0.5 ppm, so I don't feel the need to let it breathe. So I'd say what you're doing is fine.

Same here; my cover stays closed unless it needs to be open. It really helps retain chlorine, so it's good for the chemistry. And it prevents evaporation. Some here feel the need to let their pool "breathe" periodically to blow off combined chloramines. My CC is always 0.0 - 0.5 ppm, so I don't feel the need to let it breathe. So I'd say what you're doing is fine.
I'm happy that I see the same numbers on my CC tests (TF-100). Your comment definitely boots my confidence! Thank you very much for responding @Rocket J Squirrel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.