How do I tell what voltage light bulbs I have and a ? about the Kwik-Change covers

restoman

Dec 24, 2010
Murrieta, CA
First question: My pool is approx 17 years old and I have Amerlite/Pentair lights in my pool and spa. The pool light is 8.375" (?) in diameter and the spa is 3.5" (?) in diameter. Even thought he current bulbs still work and light up the pool just fine, Id like to change them from clear to blue, but from what I'm reading in the manual, they're either 120 volt or 12 volt. How do I know what voltage mine are without pulling them out?

Second question: Going by the instructions in the manual, replacing the bulbs seems to be a MAJOR PITA!! You have to flip the circuit breaker (safety, which is always a good idea), but then you have to drain the pool so the water level is lower than the light, then unscrew the assembly from the side of the pool, pull it apart, change the bulb, install new gaskets/seals, then put it all together again and test. If everything's okay, then you can refill the pool. Is this correct??? Did they really make it such a hassle to replace the freekin' bulbs?

Third question: As a backup solution, I also see in the manual that Amerlite/Pentair offers a "kwik-change" lens cover for the larger pool light (part number 78900800 for blue), but I don't see a part number for the small jacuzzi light. Is a kwik-change cover available for the smaller jacuzzi light?

Final question: Do those kwik-change covers work/last? They seem to be made of cheap plastic so I'm not sure how long they'll last, or even if they work! Are they worth the money? Comments and opinions are more than welcome!

Thanks boys and girls!
Ed

You should only have to drain the spa (put the water in the pool) to access the light. The pool light should have enough cord to bring it to the deck. Always replace the gasket. Silicone ones are best as the heat from the bulbs don't affect them like a standard gasket.
They used to make the colored lens covers for both sizes, thin plastic, easily broken.
If you don't have a transformer at your pad or j-box, most likely you have 120v lights. A 2005 pool especially.
They are difficult to work on because they are under highly-conductive water and need to be very safe or you wouldn't put your family in there. High voltage, conductive water, family members, bad mix.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I found it (see attached). It's not an Intermatic, but a Vista Professional MT300, correct? So that means I have 12 volt lights, not 120 volt?

Ed

Attachments

• Light Power Transformer.jpg
    Light Power Transformer.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.