How do I operate the valves to heat up my spa?

Alcyone

May 9, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
I'm probably a total idiot for asking this question, but how to I heat up my spa? My setup is an inground spa and swimming pool with heat pump and propane tanks. Normal operation is the water spills over from the spa into the pool and comes back into the spa again. Pool suction is on which circulates the water from the pool to the spa, then spills back over into the pool. It's obvious how to operate the heat pump as the HMI is straight forward, but I'm not sure about the valves.

I guess the spa suction sucks water from the bottom of the spa and the spa return pumps it back in. I'm just not sure how to configure everything. My pump has multiple speeds.

A picture is attached. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• 7C924245-61AE-4866-9ACA-41F7F3F0E873.jpg
    7C924245-61AE-4866-9ACA-41F7F3F0E873.jpg
    679.8 KB · Views: 49
I guess the spa suction sucks water from the bottom of the spa and the spa return pumps it back in
A,

That is exactly what has to happen.. Turn your Intake valve (the one in front of the pump) so that the spa pipe is open and the pool (skimmer/Main drain) is closed.

Set your Return valve (after the heater) so that all the water goes to the spa and none to the pool.

Set you pump speed to whatever feels good in the spa..

Looking at your pics... Point the handle of the Intake valve so it points to the Spa Suction label. Point the handle of the Return valve so that it points to the Spa Return label.

Then play with the Spa Therapy valve and see what it does and what you like..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.O.
Jim, thank you. It seemed to work very well. I set both valves as you stated. Then I turned on the heat pump. When I did that, the flow kicked up and I could feel hot water pumping into the spa. One other quick question if I may: There's another valve that wasn't in my original picture labeled "Heater". Do I need to do anything with this? IMG_5128.jpg

A,

I can only "assume" that when it is in the position shown in your pic, it forces water to flow through your heater.. When the handle is pointed straight up, it would allow the water to by-pass the heater..

Turn the handle up and I suspect your heater will stop and show some kind of low flow/pressure alarm.

What did the "Spa Therapy valve" do???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.