Dennisarner

Oct 22, 2022
Reading pa
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Been here for years. No longer use the pool. Don’t want to open/close it next year. I will keep it slightly drained to protect the coping (in a freeze area). Is algaecide and chlorine and a small circulation pump in the summer sufficient until I eventually sell my house in a few years?

Keeping the pool algae free along with managing csi to protect the plaster finish will be kind of hard to do without the pool running during the entire summer. It is doable in the winter because of the low temps that slow algae growth. You can do as you described & hope for the best but a running, well maintained pool will have the best outcome especially if resale is a factor.
TFPC is about simplicity, those that follow the TFP protocols don’t really have to spend that much time on maintaining their pools. I generally test a few times a week with a recommended test kit (tf100) to be certain things are on the up & up - this takes 2-3 minutes.
The robot (which runs on a schedule) & the swg take care of the heavy lifting. I do have to empty the skimmer & robot when full. My pump & swg are on timers.
Closing & opening are also quite simple & quick if you follow the guides here. Perhaps employing a few strategies to make things more low maintenance like a robot, swg or liquid doser, some simple automation, or a cover would help lessen the burden of maintaining the pool during the season but still allow you to keep your investment in tip top shape.
Pool Care Basics

Welcome to TFP.

Will the pool be covered or uncovered?

Does mothball mean ignored to you? No pool with water can be ignored without problems developing.

Do you expect the pool to be a selling feature or an eyesore when you sell the house?

Last edited:
Also, not running the equipment at the equipment pad for “a few years” will likely result in a lot of broken equipment when you do go to sell and need to get it back up and running.

Honest thought - just hire a pool service to maintain it if you don’t want to. It will cost you lots of money that way but maybe you can simply keep the receipts and add it to the asking price of your home 🤷‍♂️. Maybe you won’t be able to recoup all of that maintenance cost but at least it takes the work off your hands.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.