how do I find out where my pipes are

Aug 23, 2009
Spring Valley, NY
I'm looking to use 18" grass stakes (link) for my safety pool cover. Being that I'm putting them around the pool (grass is approx. 5-10' from the pool) and pump and heater is on the southern side about 15-20' from the pool. How can I tell that I'm not going to puncture a pipe? Is there a standard as to how deep they are (such that 18" is safe?) or to know what spots are safe (no pipes below) or other way to avoid risk?

Last edited:
Plumbing is usually installed close to the pool wall so 5'-10' away from the wall is safe except where the pipe would travel from the pool to the pump. That is an area that would have some risk so just stay away from that corridor. However, given your location, I would expect the pipe to be deeper than 18" for freeze protection. Plus PVC is pretty tough and you should know right away when you hit it (the spike will stop). More than likely it would deflect the spike rather than go through the PVC. I think the risk is pretty minimal.

However, if you want to know for sure, you can get one of these:

Plumbing is usually installed close to the pool wall so 5'-10' away from the wall is safe except where the pipe would travel from the pool to the pump. That is an area that would have some risk so just stay away from that corridor. However, given your location, I would expect the pipe to be deeper than 18" for freeze protection. Plus PVC is pretty tough and you should know right away when you hit it (the spike will stop). More than likely it would deflect the spike rather than go through the PVC. I think the risk is pretty minimal.

However, if you want to know for sure, you can get one of these:

thanks, I appreciate the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.