Cleveland, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
My build is delayed until 2022, but this is something I've thought a lot about. I plan to get the TF-100 (I think that's the right one). Two questions:

1) Give my pool and equipment in my signature, what all should I get with the TF-100?
2) How do color blind people test water? I fail miserably every test for color blindness.

Thanks!

TK,

I would get the Pro + salt test kit.. It comes with a great case and all the things you would need to test a saltwater pool, including a speed stir or smart stir..

Most color blind people might have problem with shades of color, but can tell one color from another..

The good news is that the FC, TA, CH, CYA and salt level tests are more about a "change" of color than the exact shade of color.. You are looking for a point where the color changes abruptly from one color to another... The pH test is the only one where the shade of color is important.

There is no doubt that initially it will take a few tests to get used to what you should be seeing if you are color blind..

Thanks,

Jim R.

TK,

I would get the Pro + salt test kit.. It comes with a great case and all the things you would need to test a saltwater pool, including a speed stir or smart stir..

Most color blind people might have problem with shades of color, but can tell one color from another..

The good news is that the FC, TA, CH, CYA and salt level tests are more about a "change" of color than the exact shade of color.. You are looking for a point where the color changes abruptly from one color to another... The pH test is the only one where the shade of color is important.

There is no doubt that initially it will take a few tests to get used to what you should be seeing if you are color blind..

Thanks,

Jim R.
The Apera Instruments PH20 or PH60 meters will solve the PH color issue.

My build is delayed until 2022, but this is something I've thought a lot about. I plan to get the TF-100 (I think that's the right one). Two questions:

1) Give my pool and equipment in my signature, what all should I get with the TF-100?
2) How do color blind people test water? I fail miserably every test for color blindness.

Thanks!

I have color blindness as well. The only test that gives me trouble is calcium hardness. Fortunately, we have a vinyl liner pool and don’t have high CH fill/tap water, so CH isn’t particularly important.

I would suggest you try the tests first before buying additional test equipment you may not need. There are different kinds and degrees of color blindness, so it’s hard to say what test might give you trouble.

Good news !!! The ever so sligh color changes in the 7s that plague us all really don’t matter. Any of them are equally as good for most, so when we all struggle at 7.4 to 7.6, it just doesn’t matter. You really only need to know low and high and those both are easier to spot. :)

Reactions: Saturn94 and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would suggest you try the tests first before buying additional test equipment you may not need. There are different kinds and degrees of color blindness, so it’s hard to say what test might give you trouble.
This comment wins the entire thread IMHO. Before diving in feet first, give things a test. I always tend to suggest users who fear the tests watch a video and see if they struggle with things or not.

TK,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, great advice. I'll get the Pro+ Salt. Good to know about the change of color, hopefully that will be enough. If it was shades, that would be a no go.

I have color blindness as well. The only test that gives me trouble is calcium hardness. Fortunately, we have a vinyl liner pool and don’t have high CH fill/tap water, so CH isn’t particularly important.

Thanks @Saturn94 Sounds like I might be in the same boat as you, hopefully it's just the calcium test for me too. I'll be vinyl with city water as well, so fingers crossed.

Reactions: Saturn94
This comment wins the entire thread IMHO. Before diving in feet first, give things a test. I always tend to suggest users who fear the tests watch a video and see if they struggle with things or not.
Thanks for the video @Leebo if all the tests are as easy to see as that clear to pink? to clear in the video, I should be good!

Judging by @Newdude laughing emoji, I must assume that this is a joke @JamesW
See TK ??? I had faith in you and you got it. Well done. 😁 We got you now and will help every step of the way. Ask anything at anytime. Especially if you’re unsure of anything. You might make new problems, which we’ll help with too. But better for all involved to keep them at a minimum.

See TK ??? I had faith in you and you got it. Well done. 😁 We got you now and will help every step of the way. Ask anything at anytime. Especially if you’re unsure of anything. You might make new problems, which we’ll help with too. But better for all involved to keep them at a minimum.
Appreciate the help!

Reactions: JamesW and Newdude
TK,

Thanks,

Jim R.
@Jimrahbe When should I get the Pro + salt test kit? I anticipate having the pool dug and finished May/June 2022. Any downside to getting it now (ie do the chemicals go bad)?

TK,

I suggest that you get the kit about a month before your pool is set to open. Yes, the reagents do have an expiration date..

This will allow you to practice with the kit and get used to the tests just before the pool opens.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: TKpoolOH

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.