How Do Color Blind People Test Water

Well, I still don't have a pool (some day? 🤷‍♂️) but I did get my TF100 w/Salt so I figured I'd test my fill water (Cleveland municipal, essentially tap water). Got a little assistance from the kids because some of the tests I just couldn't see the color changes! I'm like yelling, no, it's not bright red/blue/pink/etc, just tell me when it changes color! I did like the Salt test, that one was so easy to see the change (y) So here are the results for my fill water:

FC 0.5
pH 6.8
CH 50
TA 170 (revised to 100 after following directions properly!)
CYA 0

CC 0
Salt 200
TC 0.5

Do those numbers sound about right for tap water? The TA might be a little high because of the aforementioned "discussion" with my children about changing color. Anything I should be cognizant of when the pool does get built and we balance for the first time?

Last edited:
Looking good TK. Try the TA again and be diligent wiping the tip for each drop like it says. The bottle gets static charged in shipping and it affects the drops for the first 5-10 tests. They typically read high if the bottle isn't wiped as directed.

Even if the TA is 170, it's of no concern and managing the PH will bring it down to where it wants to settle.

Awesome, thanks 'dude! Great tip (even though the TF Test instructions say it, was just using a dry paper towel before, science is crazy!) New TA test is 80-100 (it's a range because I didn't ask the kids for confirmation until drop #10).

Reactions: Newdude
Chemgeek here some years ago said that the TA test and the CH test, it calls for 5 drops of the indicator reagent, he said you could add an extra drop. Doesn’t change the test parameters as it’s just an indicator, but the extra drop will make the colors more brilliant. That may help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.