How close to freezing is too close?

Jul 10, 2015
MA, USA
Hello all,

I live in Massachusetts and have an in ground vinyl lined pool. I'm getting my pool closed in a little over a week but looking at the weather forecast, this coming weekend has nighttime low temperatures around 35F with daytime highs around 60F.

I know that the pool itself is too large to freeze and the underground pipes are safe but I am concerned about the pipes around the filter that are above ground. Are those nighttime low temperatures going to cause problems with any above ground or near above ground plumbing or my filter?

Thank you for any advice.

Run your pump overnight. and keep the water moving. Now, we live in Georgia and don't close our pools but to protect things in winter Skippy puts a tarp over our equipment pad, with an auto light hung under it in the winter and we run the pump overnight. I would bet that might be good for you until you actually get it closed up.

Maddie

When in doubt just run the pump all night. We will have some night time low’s in the lower 40’s for the next few nights. My water temp yesterday was 80. Left the solar blanket off last night and today the water temp is 74. Curious to see how my water temperature drops as neighbors are closing up the pools in the neighborhood. I’m afraid it is too early with those temperatures.

You’ll be fine. The ground won’t get anywhere near freezing at those temps. For the above ground pipes, close to freezing isn’t enough to freeze a 2 inch pipe rock solid so it bursts overnight. 20 degrees, maybe. 35 and might dip a hair lower for 3 hours, no.

Read...

It simply cannot freeze if you run the pump. Or at least down to wicked negative temps anyway. If running the pump is what you need to do in order to sleep better, it is FAR cheaper than going to the Dr for sleeping medicine. :)

We dont close our pools here, and we can get into the 20's for overnight lows. One time it was in the teens and I was trying to put the For Sale sign in the yard, but it was too dang cold.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.