How can I bypass the driver controller on Pentair superflo vs 342001

JohnnyRock

Jun 3, 2020
Minnesota
We had a lightning storm come through last night and the following power surges from the local electric co seemed to knock out my Driver Controller (353127).
I've reviewed several many posts on this site today (great resources)...but none resolved my issue.
I've left the power OFF for 24hrs to dissipate any charge in a capacitor in the motor (assuming there is one).

I have decided to go ahead and order the Driver/Cover kit (353127), but would like to see if anyone knows how to "bypass" the driver controller so I can get the water flowing again?
I can't seem to find a wiring diagram anywhere on the interwebs, including at Pentair.com

I've got power to the pole next to the pump. I've checked the voltage reading of 115v on each post to the pump. So the power coming into the pump is good.
I read power going to the Driver Controller (although the keypad won't respond to a reset or simply "start").
The line power connects to the Driver Controller, it flows through the keypad (which doesn't respond), and then to the motor.
The motor has 3 wires. Blue, Brown, and White. I'm thinking that I they are for line1, line2, and neutral. but I've only got two hot lines coming in plus a ground wire.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the Pentair superflow vs 342001 so I can show my electrician?

Any help would be appreciated.

=================
Blessed with someone that loves me, 9 kids, 30 grandkids, and 40k gallons of happiness.

John,

Did you actually measure the AC power coming into the pump, by measuring between L1 and L2... Not by measuring L1 to ground and L2 to ground? It makes a big difference.

You could simple be missing one phase of your 240 volts.. We have seen that more than once.

The control head is not just a timer.. It take the AC in and modulates it to drive the motor.. It is not a standard motor, so there is no way to by pass it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have not heard of anyone being able to hot wire a VS pump and bypass the drive.

John,

Did you actually measure the AC power coming into the pump, by measuring between L1 and L2... Not by measuring L1 to ground and L2 to ground? It makes a big difference.

You could simple be missing one phase of your 240 volts.. We have seen that more than once.

The control head is not just a timer.. It take the AC in and modulates it to drive the motor.. It is not a standard motor, so there is no way to by pass it.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the reply...I will check that AC power coming into the pump tomorrow in the daylight and post a response.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the input folks...at this point, I'm not going to try anything desperate to hot-wire the motor, as the new Drive Controller should arrive tomorrow and I'll be back in business.
I was hoping to be able to circulate the water during this outage to reduce the risk of algae growth.
I've been running my pool vac (Tiger Shark) twice a day since the pump went down.
My plan is to drain the filter pod, clean the filter good, then drain the water in the lines as much as possible. After that, I'll load up on algaecide as soon as I have the pump running again.

If anyone come across a wiring schematic for the Pentair superflo vs pump, please do forward it along for the community of users whom might experience a similar issue in the future.

Ok. Just wanted to be sure. 220 volts sounded lower than normal.

Based on the cost of the drive vs. the whole pump, I don't think that I would buy the drive separately.

I would get the whole pump.

Is the pump under warranty?

Maybe file a claim with the power company if you believe that they damaged the pump.

You could probably use a generic VFD to control the motor if you can figure out the correct specifications and can figure out how to install it where it will be waterproof.

If anyone come across a wiring schematic for the Pentair superflo vs pump, please do forward it along for the community of users whom might experience a similar issue in the future.
As I noted earlier, it's a three phase motor.

So, you need a three phase power supply at the correct voltage.

If you feel comfortable doing it, you can check the output voltage and frequency of the 3 output wires.

Check L1 to L2, L1 to L3, and L2 to L3.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.