How best to get salt into pool

gary300

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 15, 2014
Riverside California
I am about to convert my 38000 gal chlorine pool to salt. From what I have read, it will take about 800 to 1000 lbs of salt. What would be the best way to get all this salt into the pool?
Should I add it slowly over a few days or just start putting it in? I have a VS pump. Should I increase the speed to further agitate the water? Also, I have a robot and wonder if I should run it (without the filters) to get the salt to dissolve. Many other questions, but these are the main ones. Any tips or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary

Let the kids get in the pool. Throw the diamonds aka salt into the pool and let them have fun watching and playing with the diamonds. They will help mix it up. Many people call it diamond day!!!

If no kids then just throw it in and brush it with the pump running and call it good!

Kim:kim:

Kim is spot on! I line up bags on the side with the top over the edge and cut them one by one and let them pour in. You could put the pump on high or not, it does't matter so much but you want some water circulation. Turn off SWG while adding salt. Make sure you test with the K-1766 BEFORE putting any salt in the water! And then put HALF what you think you need. Many people think they have a MUCH larger pool than they actually have and end up having to drain water to lower the salt level. Not to mention you probably already have at least 1 ppt of salt (1/3rd of your salt).

I am about to convert my 38000 gal chlorine pool to salt. From what I have read, it will take about 800 to 1000 lbs of salt. What would be the best way to get all this salt into the pool?
Should I add it slowly over a few days or just start putting it in? I have a VS pump. Should I increase the speed to further agitate the water? Also, I have a robot and wonder if I should run it (without the filters) to get the salt to dissolve. Many other questions, but these are the main ones. Any tips or comments would be appreciated.
Some quick reads :)
Skip Down to Salt:

I dumped in 160 lbs of Diamond Crystals Solar Natural salt on Saturday. It was dissolved in 45 minutes with the pump running on high and no brushing.

I’d dump it all around, a few bags less than you think, and run the pump for at least two hours. Test the next day and repeat to arrive at goal.

Don’t turn on the salt cell until the next day after some pump runtime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.