How are pool service guys keeping the CYA down while using Trichlor tablets on non-SWG pools only visiting 1 time a week?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

How are pool service guys keeping the CYA down while using Trichlor tablets on non-SWG pools only visiting 1 time a week?
Simply put, they're not. That's the issue we see so often here at TFP whether it be pool maintenance from weekly visits or owners who don't know any better yet. Each tab can increase the CYA by 6 ppm or more so it adds-up quickly over a few weeks. Adding to that some owners or maintenance crews will also do a weekly "bomb" with powders that do the same. Tabs have their place for short-term use and a pool with a low CYA, but for consistent chlorination liquid chlorine is the way to go for non-salt pools.

I had a service company decades back when we had our first pool. When it finally blows up with algae, "you" have an algae problem and they will fix it, for extra. Two meanings to CYA I guess :)

But, in all fairness, they have to work with what the pool owner has.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Simply put, they're not. That's the issue we see so often here at TFP whether it be pool maintenance from weekly visits or owners who don't know any better yet. Each tab can increase the CYA by 6 ppm or more so it adds-up quickly over a few weeks. Adding to that some owners or maintenance crews will also do a weekly "bomb" with powders that do the same. Tabs have their place for short-term use and a pool with a low CYA, but for consistent chlorination liquid chlorine is the way to go for non-salt pools.

So many pools in my area are Not SWG & they have pool guys supplementing liquid with trichlor but I dont see how it would be possible to maintain this, but somehow no algae blooms whats the secret? they dont drain either.... They do leave chlorine for the homeowner which i thought was funny if you are paying for service...

Cya will break down month by month, especially with hotter water, supplementary additions of liquid chlorine and possibly algaecide will keep pools clear. Lots do it, I have over 15 pools that are maintained this way with zero blooms. I also have swg pools that get blooms.

Cya will break down month by month, especially with hotter water, supplementary additions of liquid chlorine and possibly algaecide will keep pools clear. Lots do it, I have over 15 pools that are maintained this way with zero blooms. I also have swg pools that get blooms.
So Pool RX type in pump basket Algicides (copper, zinc) & relying on CYA to dissipate at 6 ppm as they add 6ppm with more trichlor pucks + liquid chlorine

Some guys with routes use poly 40 or 60, the dumb ones will use a copper based algaecide. I praise the people on here for taking control of their pools. Most clients are lucky to even know their pools have water in them, then you get the ones who insist their pools are salt and no chlorine is used lol

Trust me, it’s a wild world out there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So they are using pool rx? It’s copper based and will eventually start staining the pool. It really doesn’t protect you from certain water born bacteria. I used to use pool rx, I maintained what I thought was proper levels and one of my customers got conjunctivitis from the pool. You are lucky you found tfp early. Don’t let anyone convince you otherwise.

I doubt many are using poolrx, it’s an expense that a weekly fee can’t cover. Either poly 40/60 or a cheap based copper one. Remember, stains to a service company are added sales with stain removers, should it bother the client, same goes for sequestrant use.

IMO, the #1 takeaway in all of this is education. Many pool owners, myself included before TFP, had no idea about true pool chemistry, FC-CYA relationships, or side effects of pool products. Whether it's a pool tech's weekly visit doing things the way his boss said they always do it that way, or a homeowner grabbing everything off the Walmart shelf that says "Kills", "Pristine", or "Blue", without the education anyone can make mistakes. Armed with some basic concepts of pool chemistry and a reliable test kit, it's not that hard to do. CYA (tabs specifically) get a bad rap, but they have their place. But just like any chemical it's all about proper testing, education, and dosage. Good discussions.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone... Basically the TFP method for my friends pool professional is not feasible in Non-SWG pools using only Liquid Chlorine + CYA (7.5% level) unless they visit the pool site every 2-3 days as the sunlight will remove FC at 1-3ppm per day & leave the pool at 0 FC for 3-5 days until the next service right?

Any cool techniques to keep the pool FC level at 6 down to say 1-2ppm for a full week with CYA around 30-50 max? No metals, no algicides that stain anything else that can be done?

Can the pool run at 0 FC for 3 days without growth in the summer?

Removing CYA future technology would greatly help this cause and tablet market ;D I will recommend to all my friends to go Salt for this reason always!

Her service is dosing fairly high. I was like woah when I saw the amounts. I think they intend for their to be enough to last an entire week if not longer.
Exactly that. It's where the term 'shock' came from for pools. It is a sudden, often violent, change. If they spike the FC high enough, there is some left at next week's service day.

*also lovingly referred to here as 'dump and pray'

Reactions: Cena_sea
Can the pool run at 0 FC for 3 days without growth in the summer?
No. Now, it’s possible you might get lucky and not have visible algae after 3 days, but that doesn’t mean nothing is growing in the water - only that it hasn’t accumulated to the point where you can see it.

It’s also possible after 3 days you’ll have a green swamp.

In any case, a pool should not sit at 0 FC in the summer for 3 hours (minutes?), nonetheless 3 days.

We had a pool service recently that used the Orenda method. They were incredibly helpful with our start-up after a very stressful replaster and a disaster with the pool co that was set to start us up and also helpful with a repair to our suction line. However - algae!

They were weekly and would use cal-hypo to "maintain" chlorine levels. Each time they would come back, I would notice our pH was 8-8.2 and FC was .5 We got a weekly report of chemical levels and I was keeping an eye on things while reading up on TFP. It didnt take long for us to start getting recurrent algae in the corners when the water warmed up. We are in Houston area so its already hot here. I asked about the low FC levels and was told they like to run the chlorine low. Asked about pH too. Decided to take over pool roughly a month ago and just finished a SLAM. I am loving the pool math app and it all is starting to make sense. Our calcium is pretty high from their method so will be watching that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.