Houston, TX Pool Build Diary - From Design to Dive-In

Plat, I had also been thinking about your build and wondering what was happening. That spa is gorgeous! Love your tile choice. I'm sure it'll be just as irredescent as in the 2nd picture.

I love your creature stories! Happy you had a place to move the tadpoles to. Flip flop of doom-gotta love it!

Great build so far!! We live in New Caney on a big lot and we're so glad that we don't have to deal with the COH ridiculousness as we get ready for our pool build. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The RiverFlow issue I mentioned previously was resolved as of yesterday!!

To recap:

When gunite went in, the jet pipe for the RiverFLow Swim Current System shifted in the wall and ended up pointing to the right a few degrees. This would have in-turn have pushed the swimmer in the jet flow off of the planned tile swim line that will go into the floor, so you would always be correcting to get lined up and centered. The jet was all covered in plastic for gunite so it wasn't noticed until that all came off. Our builder didn't blink when we pointed it out and said he'd get it fixed, but they weren't sure at the time exactly how. What ended up happening was pretty straight forward though. The crew chipped all around the pipe and then pushed/levered it inwards and over until the angle lined up. Then they packed it with cement and that was it. Looks like a straight shot now when I eyeball it from the other end of the pool. If we weren't geometric, this would not have been an issue as we would have just lined up the tile line in the floor to the jet, but since this is perpendicular to the side walls, it had to be pretty close to perfect.

Then aside from that, we are just waiting on different color samples of the cast concrete capstone. We asked for and received the dark dark grey sample we thought we were set with, but it is just a bit too dark I think. We'll see once we have the lighter samples.

We also have our sprinklers hooked back up!!! At least several zones. That means I am now for the most part freed up from hose watering. That was such a pain and with Houston summer coming soon, just watering on the weekend is pushing it to not end up with a bad looking lawn.

Finally to cap it all off; We lost a water heater (we have 2.) It was time though as they were 16 years old so we had them replaced. We went tankless. So far so good, but we'll see in a month or two if we made the right choice going tankless.

plat.

I LOVE tankless but it is said they do not really pay for themselves over their life BUT to have instant HOT water.....oh the joy!

Kim:cat:

Yeah, natural gas is so cheap here in Houston, it wasn't really about that. This was more an issue of limitless hot water and the lifetime which is supposed to be longer (20+ years) which means at this point if we stay put like we are planning, then we won't have to mess with this again.

It's not instant yet as we have not had a re-circulator put in. We're going to have one installed at the kitchen sink so you don't have to wait 30 seconds to get hot water to fill a pot, wash your hands, rinse dishes or feed the dishwasher.

plat.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.