Houston pool build - all filled up, time to swim!

I am happy with the length, but I can't say I wouldn't have minded 20x40 or even 18x40. 40ft length feels nice for the laps I just did I just wish it was ever so slightly wider but overall I'm very happy. We also lucked out right at 20,300 gallons so a pretty easy number to remember for chemical math. We have a half acre corner lot that's all backyard so I definitely needed a large footprint to make a dent in our backyard. I'm sure a smaller pool would be fine in a more normal 8-12k sq ft lot

Reactions: JMSMommy
I am happy with the length, but I can't say I wouldn't have minded 20x40 or even 18x40. 40ft length feels nice for the laps I just did I just wish it was ever so slightly wider but overall I'm very happy. We also lucked out right at 20,300 gallons so a pretty easy number to remember for chemical math. We have a half acre corner lot that's all backyard so I definitely needed a large footprint to make a dent in our backyard. I'm sure a smaller pool would be fine in a more normal 8-12k sq ft lot

I am half kidding - lol ..ours will be about 33x19 - 18,000 gallons. A decent H-town size. Enjoy! Hopefully in 6 months, I am out enjoying our pool.

Reactions: Whiskeyfox
Oh that's plenty! Good luck with your build, I've learned so much from this site and it's a good resource during your build when questions come up. It's also a good time waster watching other build threads when you have a giant unfinished hole in your yard 😂

• Haha
Reactions: JMSMommy
The 16x40 is just the pool part. Close to 52ft long adding the spa and tanning ledge.

View attachment 166847

Here's a night shot haha. Wife and I just got out of the pool, I heated it up to 82 from 75 and it was nice to swim in. It took about 45-50 mins per degree and air temp is about 64 atm, little slower than I was hoping for but still nice.
So how long did you end up waiting to use the heat? We are watching football today and I would really like to at least heat the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks Great!! Our dogs love the pool too, they are in it every day. Have you been able to use it much since completion?
I gotta figure out the trick to getting them to swim! They've all been on the sunshelf by themselves but never want to swim. I'm hoping they might in the summer. We've gotten a few swim days but end almost every night in the spa. Not sure how many days we've got left to swim this year..

I gotta figure out the trick to getting them to swim! They've all been on the sunshelf by themselves but never want to swim. I'm hoping they might in the summer.

My Husky has been swimming laps in the pool since right after gunite when we had that storm fill it half full, lol. Our Golden Retriever will swim with people in the pool, otherwise he stays on the tanning ledge. The other two are strictly tanning ledge dogs and want no part of the deeper water.
We've gotten a few swim days but end almost every night in the spa. Not sure how many days we've got left to swim this year..

I finally heated the pool last week when the plaster company's suggested wait time was up. I turned the heat on Friday afternoon and just left it on until Sunday evening. We were in the pool all day both days, and are suffering the effects of sunburn this week, lol. I am hoping that we continue to get some warmer weather, but the water temperatures have dropped alot this week. All last week our pool was 80-82, this morning when I looked at the pool it was 65!

Reactions: Whiskeyfox
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.